Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww2 airfield lights control room discovery

Article about: Cant believe I had not found this building earlier, wall is demolished so very easy access, Dunno what you call this building but it has all the switches for the runway lights which is neat,

Angry ww2 airfield lights control room discovery

Cant believe I had not found this building earlier, wall is demolished so very easy access, Dunno what you call this building but it has all the switches for the runway lights which is neat, lots of data plates and instead of my last post with the reeking of 1970's Im confident this building is of ww2 era. The fire extinguishers are 1939 dated and the epic vintage phone with a windup looks 30s/40s too, Just wanna share my footage here if anyones interested, few pictures too this time....

video1 of the outside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz4KJI1SvNo

main video of everything inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvHdoHBIGEY

seperate video of the vintage phone incase anyone doesn't want to watch the main video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5n7_Ca4YE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 airfield lights control room discovery   ww2 airfield lights control room discovery  

ww2 airfield lights control room discovery   ww2 airfield lights control room discovery  

It seems incredible to find such things untouched in this day and age. Perhaps I am cynical but I would have expected things like those phones to have been wrenched off the wall a long time ago, so great to see them still in situ

Smash it all up and have all the copper cable away. You know it makes sense.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

that's what will happen,but get in there 1st and try and save it could then be passed to a airfield museum.all

- - Updated - -

all in wrong place.ho well.

Sorry to have to tell you but the electric cabinets, relay banks and control boxes are post war. I'm sure the phone system was original to the field and just used because quite frankly they work well in a closed system (control tower to light control house). Also the type of brick seems to be 1960's, typical of the Wartime period would have been red common brick. The roof was poured in place concrete, you can see that the formwork was individual planks, which was common construction nmethod until the late 60's.
    If the installed wiring was wartime, the sheathing wiould have been woven cloth with a rubber or bakelite underneath, what I see looks like late 60's plastic insulation and done by a proper electrician as all runs are "squared" and anchored properly. the nameplates look like engraved plastic when wartime would have been engraved brass.

still worth saving.

Angry

I think I am too late is there ANY chance that rare naval phone is underneath all that rubble? saddans me to post these pictures ugh....

and that isint the only building thats got razed theres one that I hadnt had a chance to explore yet.... b******s.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 airfield lights control room discovery   ww2 airfield lights control room discovery  

Thanks for the heads up.....

It's gonna be a good Christmas.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think Milltown is being flattened ready to be sold. EOD were up last week not expecting to find anything.....but they did!

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I think Milltown is being flattened ready to be sold. EOD were up last week not expecting to find anything.....but they did!
    they found live ordinance??? ugh this is making me sick seeing the buildings being torn down luckily ive footage and photos of everything when it stood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast