Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI Tank Unearthed in Flesquières, France

Article about: A World War I Tank Revealed 90 Years Later "World War I Memorials in France" World War I Tank Mark IV Deborah, D51, stands in a barn in Flesquières, flying the flag of the Tank Reg

Default WWI Tank Unearthed in Flesquières, France

A World War I Tank Revealed 90 Years Later
    "World War I Memorials in France"

World War I Tank Mark IV Deborah, D51, stands in a barn in Flesquières, flying the flag of the Tank Regiment.
    © Mary Anne Evans

From Fromelles, a drive south of 50 miles (84 kilometers) takes you around Arras and Cambrai to the small village of Flesquières, deep in farming country.

This is a visit for real enthusiasts as you have to make a special appointment to see the tank. For six years, Philippe Gorczuynski, a local hotel owner, historian and author, searched for a tank which an elderly lady had remembered being pushed by Russian prisoners into a huge hole near the café her family ran. Along with professional help, he eventually discovered the tank, Mark IV Deborah, in 1998 and had it dug up.

This was just the start of the story and he began to research into the lives of those who died in the tank during the important Battle of Cambrai, November 20th, 1917. The battle was the first test for this new form of weapon which was to have such a decisive effect on modern warfare.

Philippe Gorczuysnki bought a barn in the village and has installed the tank there with a small private museum in a small adjoining building. Deborah stands in the barn, isolated, battered and partly destroyed. But oddly, it’s a more impressive sight as you can imagine it just after the battle. If you are interested it’s well worth the effort to make the appointment with Philippe Gorczuynski who brings the long-gone and the more immediate past startlingly alive. It’s a wonderful mix -- a tale of heroism on the battle field and a present-day detective story of how he discovered the tank and researched the lives -- and deaths -- of its occupants.

13 bis, rue du Moulin
    59267 Flesquières
    Nord, France

A World War I tank discovered at Flesquières
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Re: WWI Tank Unearthed in Flesquières, France

That's awesome!

I readed the same story with pictures of it in the hole but the date was 1988.
    But great post.
    chris

Amazing.

?

I remember first reading about this in the papers and the story told how the finder had first dug down to a hatch – opened it and climbed down into a virtually intact WWI tank – Utter tosh I thought, sensationalism again - will these journo’s ever get a story right?

However talking to a few friends over in France I soon discovered it was all true and a few phone calls, emails and a couple of months later I was standing in a farmyard in the middle of France looking at what at first appeared to be a tarpaulin covered haystack – alongside me was a serving British army officer who lectured tank tactics – lesson one; stick a tank in a farmyard, put a tarp over it and you’ve got the best camouflage going, no one would look twice.

Our host – the finder - Phillip Gorcynski - pulled the tarp back and said “Voila – ici Deborah!” and there it was – amazing! Turned out “Deborah” was the third WWI tank wreck he had tracked down and excavated – the first two were males and when they brewed up, they had blown themselves apart – so he knew he had to find a female as the machinegun ammunition should not cause the same effect – and here was the result.

It was amazing to get inside – how did a crew of eight fit in? and looking at the damage it was obvious that any shell coming in couldn’t fail to hit someone. One shot had come clean through the surprising thin and brittle armour near the driver and then exploded when it hit the inside face of the opposite side. The outer surface was covered in hundreds of indentations from machinegun bullet strikes – which must have set off a hailstorm of spalling splinters inside.

I have not seen it in its new home, but must make the effort next time I am in the area – I know the finder and the locals were very keen to see it kept locally and I am really pleased for them that a solution could be found, as at one point it looked as though it would be taken away from them.

Now that is an amazing find !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Here is the link with videos www.tank-cambrai.com
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

wow now thats a find of huge proportions

tom

that looks pretty cool, surprised that people are still finding this like this from WW1. We have a mock-up of a male? MK1 at pucker here in Australia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast