Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Italian Fighter Pilot and his Aircraft Recovered in Northern Italy.

Article about: Hi Guys, An interesting article on the 'Discovery' website caught my eye and I thought I'd post it here. WWII Pilot Found Buried in Italian Corn Field : Discovery News I remember the same re

Default WWII Italian Fighter Pilot and his Aircraft Recovered in Northern Italy.

Hi Guys,

An interesting article on the 'Discovery' website caught my eye and I thought I'd post it here.

WWII Pilot Found Buried in Italian Corn Field : Discovery News

I remember the same recovery group digging up the remains of one of his comrades and his aircraft from the same action a few years back, and that is mentioned in the article.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very interesting link Ned, heres's an example of the aircraft he was flying the Macchi C.205, pretty sleek looking machine!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Very interesting link Ned, heres's an example of the aircraft he was flying the Macchi C.205, pretty sleek looking machine!...
    Yeah, Eric 'Winkle' Brown was impressed when he tested it. He was Chief Naval Test Pilot and C.O. Captured Enemy Aircraft Flight, and remembered how they were impressed when they tested the Macchi C.205.

"One of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi MC. 205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of Italian styling and German engineering. I believe it was powered by a Daimler Benz DB 605. It was really a delight to fly, and up to anything on the Allied programme. But again, it came just before the Italians capitulated so it was never used extensively. And we did tests on it and were most impressed. The cockpit was smallish but not as bad as the Bf 109".

Sounds like it was a bit of a Ferrari of it's time.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

thanks Ned.