Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

1936 Olympic Bell

Article about: I was offered a copy of the 1936 Olympic bell. Apparently the person's father received it in a trade at the end of the war. The story is that 16 copies were made in bronze, about 20cm tall,

?

Default 1936 Olympic Bell

I was offered a copy of the 1936 Olympic bell. Apparently the person's father received it in a trade at the end of the war. The story is that 16 copies were made in bronze, about 20cm tall, and given to important people.
    I can not find anything telling me that those copies were ever produced.
    The bell looks good, like a copy of the original, just smaller of course, with the swastikas filed out (which would make sense in a way, since it was kept in Germany).
    I have the seen images of the porcelain bells, btw. Which were probably sold as souvenirs back then.
    Since the Bochumer foundry has been bought up by Krupp a long time ago, all the documents are in their archives, but can't be accessed.
    Curious if anyone knows anything about this.
    -Andre

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1936 Olympic Bell
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1936 Olympic Bell

Andrek,

Not sure about the story but I have also seen 10cm Olimpic bells in bronze on a marble base that were sold as souveneirs too, so it could be that this is just a larger version?

I think that these souveneirs were probably made to suit a lot of different pockets at the time but I hope that your story is correct.

Apologies if this reply does not exactly give you the information that you require and I hope that others will contribute.

?

Hello Bochmann, thank you, the joy of collecting - and trying to solve the mystery of a piece's place in history. An old message on a german forum mentions three bells, one apparently in a museum in Berlin (still need to follow up on that), one in northern Germany and a missing one. Is this the one, I might never know.
    Best, Andre from the snowy east....

Hello Andre, I too, have seen bronze Olympic bells that were sold as souvenirs. Unfortunately, I don't recall their exact sizes, but one was fairly significant in height, I remember. It's not good, however, that the one you've been offered has been "De-Nazified" by filing off the offending swastikas, as this Very significantly reduces the value and the collectability of the piece in question. In my opinion, it's, at best, a mutilated curiosity and I would seriously recommend passing on it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Original.
    From his own collection.
    There are also money boxes of this type. But they were produced after 45 years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1936 Olympic Bell   1936 Olympic Bell  

1936 Olympic Bell   1936 Olympic Bell