Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

1950 painting of WW1

Article about: This was a painting my grandfather did in 1950. I really didn't know the man even though I lived in his house at a very early age but know what my father has told me. He served in the first

Default 1950 painting of WW1

This was a painting my grandfather did in 1950. I really didn't know the man even though I lived in his house at a very early age but know what my father has told me.

He served in the first war and got pretty beat up a few times so he was no good to anyone in the second.
    We only have a few of his many paintings and this is the only one left with thoughts of war and death ... perhaps he painted himself as one of the downed soldiers or of friends. It is apparent however that something, maybe after so many years, came back to haunt him some.

From what I was told he also had a large collection of guns and hunting rifles that along with most of his paintings were confiscated or destroyed when there was a search of his small town.

You will all learn to know me as the taker of bad pictures so here are some.

Please note the downed soldier on the right with full gear as well as the one on the left with a old artillery cannon above him. The rest speaks for its self.

Rudy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1950 painting of WW1   1950 painting of WW1  

1950 painting of WW1   1950 painting of WW1  

1950 painting of WW1  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1950 painting of WW1
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 1950 painting of WW1

His way of dealing with PTSD. This was painted 32 years after his war was over. More than enough time for the numbness of what occured to him to have worn off and the realities to come back to haunt him. The violent deaths of comrads never go away. There are old ghosts that follow you to your grave.
    I am afraid your canvas has been damaged by mishandeling.
    SteveR

I intend to keep it in the condition it's in but not restored.
    Your take on it is what I think also ... the haunting of the dead ghosts.

He was known to be a angry man with little love for his family yet he built a aviary and indoor fish pond leaving no food for his wife and children.
    One of which was my father who left home at around 13 to get away. He later watched him die.

I'm sure that was just a way to escape.

Rudy

This is a very powerful story, and I appreciate you sharing this with us.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    This is a very powerful story, and I appreciate you sharing this with us.
    Thank you for seeing it the way I do.
    The most powerful part of the painting is the hand over the face. I'm still not sure if it's 'what have they done?' or 'what have I done?' or 'why?'
    But it is the look of sorrow. That's a look you can see over and over in pictures and soldiers art ... this one just has a personal history.

Rudy