Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A $55 US gamble

Article about: by Wagriff Those triangular brads are also quite common today-they are used in glazing windows and hold in the panes before caulking. I believe I have several boxes somewhere in my basement,

Default A $55 US gamble

Hello Gents,, I recently acquired this painting through our classified section,, which leaves me with alot of questions. The back of the painting leaves me with the most. It is hard to judge if its authentic or not as we know paintings are highly reproduced along with its signatures. Earlier in the week I posted in the SS insignia section the Cap eagle and skull pictured here for authenticity,,as the answer was this type of insignia is produced during the 1970s. see link below

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-me...t-find-233160/

I have included a file photo of Himmler wearing the early version SS cap but the facial feature is the same as the color portrait. I also included a file photo of a Himmler signature,, but in all due respect that ink and painted signatures should not be deemed the same.
    There is also the use of old style brads used to hold in place the portrait on the back of the frame. I have not seen these types used before,,, but hey over all I did not spend much on this and it is pretty cool as a back drop for an SS collection. What are your thoughts on this. Here are the photos. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A  US gamble   A  US gamble  

A  US gamble   A  US gamble  

A  US gamble   A  US gamble  

A  US gamble  
    Attached Images Attached Images A  US gamble  A  US gamble  A  US gamble 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A  US gamble
    P
    Many

Default Re: A $55 US gamble

I can not comment on which period this item is from. However, I sure do like it!!!! Like you said, it would look great behind any ss collection. For 55 bucks, I don't think you can lose.

If it is not period, it sure looks great for a display as stated!
    I would pay that or more just to have it sit behind my collection.

?

Someone certainly put alot of time into this, looks great reguardless of time period

That is a very old looking portrait Larry and I like it and for that price you can not loose, Congrats I say.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Definitely a modern piece. Nothing original/period about it - frame and
    insignia too - but it will look good for display.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Larry: As others have already said, it doesn't matter what you paid because it's ideal for your intended use, and $55 is a bargain. When you wrote, "There is also the use of old style brads used to hold in place the portrait on the back of the frame. I have not seen these types used before" I assume you are talking about the triangle brads used to hold the painting in the frame. If so, they have been around for a long time and some framers still use them. I'd like to see a photo of the display when you have it together. Dwight

Hi Larry

I'd buy it for that price and display it also! Nice find regardless of autenticity.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Thanks gents and thank you Dwight on the insight of the brads. These are a type that i have never seen before and thought they were old. Hey!! Still a neat item and yes one day when I get an SS display together,,and I mean "one day" as SS memorabilia is skyrocketing. Below is a detailed reply by member Steve R concerning the portrait itself. Thank you Steve!

Hi Larry
    In my opinion, for what it is worth, the image is a color rotograveure print that does not use pixels. The print is, for a better word, a commercial color " lithograph ". There are no pixels in a lithograph as it is printed from metal plates or sheets created in acid baths.. It is most assuredly post war. The Himmler signature is definitely not original. Himmler would not have the time or reason to sign artwork in oil paint. If it signed at all it would be signed by the artist. Himmler most assuredly was not an artist. The stamp would not be on a piece of art work. Fakers use stamps to try to create authenticity. Old stocks of print board can be found just about anywhere especially in Europe. The glazier points that hold the image in the frame are old but that means nothing. I have and use a glazier point gun that I use that I acquired at a print artists estate sale with over 30,000 points in boxes in boxes of a thousand that date from the 30's. I believe this image was created to decieve an unknowing collector.
    I am glad you did not pay very much for it friend.
    I hope I have been of assistance.
    Steve

So all in all the portrait is a "Looker" but still nice to have. Thanks to everyone again for your replies. Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Those triangular brads are also quite common today-they are used in glazing windows and hold in the panes before caulking. I believe I have several boxes somewhere in my basement, if I remember right....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast