Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut

Article about: Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut(Documented), Heinrich Himmler's child hood home. Dreifaltigkeitsplatz 1 1/2 was his home, my sign is 29 just up the street... both # are seen on

?

Default Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut

Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut(Documented), Heinrich Himmler's child hood home. Dreifaltigkeitsplatz 1 1/2 was his home, my sign is 29 just up the street... both # are seen on old period map( I circled them). Dreifaltigkeitsplatz was renamed AH platz during the 12 year Reich.

Additional info map numbers...

1) = Adolf-Hitler-Platz, the Dreifaltigkeitsplatz' new name during the Third Reich era
    2) = The local NSDAP headquarters
    3) = The local DAF headquarters
    4) = The church of St. Martin's, This church is interesting for two facts: Its steeple is the world's tallest brick construction and it has a stained-glass window featuring Hitler and Goebbels (Created after the war to replace the original window destroyed late in the war. The faces of Hitler and Goebbels were given to two torturers in a scene depicting the persecution of a martyr whose name keeps eluding me.)
    5) = Nahensteig. According to the SS' 1937 address list, location of the headquarters of the 31st SS-Standarte. (Nahensteig 182, 2nd floor)
    Interestingly, Landshut's local address book informs us that in medieval times, that street was located in the Jewish quarter of town, which is why its name is name is actually derived from the Hebrew word nahar (= brook). One wonders how many Standarte members were aware of that particular bit of trivia...
    6) = Städtisches Krankenhaus (Municipal Hospital), where SS physician Dr. Karl Gebhardt worked for a while from the autumn of 1922 onwards. (He had known Heinrich Himmler from school)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut   Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut  

Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut   Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut
    P
    Many

Be Careful with these they make really good copies in Poland

?

Very familiar with copies... this one is not and doesn't show fake aging and so forth.

?

When I first bought this, I did not know what town it came from, I inquired from the seller and I was able to confirm with the Auction house Landschut being sold from them, and sign from same town.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut   Adolf Hitler platz street sign from Landschut  

Nice item and if you are happy with the authenticity great but for the benefit of others here; as stated above there are some really excellent fakes and the technology used to make the original signs still exists and is simple.
    Also, just about every town in Germany large or small had a similarly named venue during the period, many with more than one sign.

What is now Theodor Heuss Platz in Berlin-Charlottenburg (I used to live there) was named during the TR period, "Adolf Hitler Platz". So, as with so many things good provenance is crucial!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Your correct that there are plenty of fakes to fool the novice. However the aging process is easy to identify... and often fool the new collector. They are typically aged via acid and laying in pools of water... water marks and orange rust identifiers. Sometime you will find droplets of orange drops on the rear faked aged items... and water marks on the front if water aged. It's good to be ahead of the game... because the money makers are always there. When I bought the item I did not know that is came from this town... I later asked the seller and was provided the info. I myself then did all the research of the town and the name of the street... and was lucky enough to find all the info I provided above. This was not the seller providing me the info other than the fact of where it originally came from. It's always fun to find the extra history with pictures and maps.