Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Anybody know what this is?

Article about: i believe it's exactly the same thing. the only difference is that in my picture the fibers at the very edge "bunched" and in yours they are not. this is only due to the shrinkage

Default Re: Anybody know what this is?

i believe it's exactly the same thing.

the only difference is that in my picture the fibers at the very edge "bunched" and in yours they are not. this is only due to the shrinkage of the cotton threads used to apply the border to the pennant.

you see this all the time in items that have been wet or washed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image006.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	356721

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

There is a link here.
    FL-110a* Set of Staff Car/Vehicle Flags for a Grand Admiral

I'll put up a photo when I get home. No tassels though.

Done.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture11.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	356874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture41.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	356875  

Last edited by aj4010; 06-07-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

WOW!!! What a great cooperation of all within the community!!! Really splendid!

Gary

?

Quote by Gast View Post
    WOW!!! What a great cooperation of all within the community!!! Really splendid!

Gary
    Hi, Gary.
    The only thing that springs to mind here, regarding the tassels. It could be the vertical part of the pennant border. Tassels at each end would make sense in that case. Is it hollow, perhaps to run a wire through, or are there cut off strings on either end where it may have been tied?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Hi, Gary.
    The only thing that springs to mind here, regarding the tassels. It could be the vertical part of the pennant border. Tassels at each end would make sense in that case. Is it hollow, perhaps to run a wire through, or are there cut off strings on either end where it may have been tied?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Maybe it is a piece of cloth from which pennant were made of. That would explain why these tassels are still there. I could imagine that this piece of cloth could have been then cut to the particular pennant.

Another explanation -- it could have been used as the decoration part of a table cloth of a high ranking naval officer.

What do you think?

Gary

?

Quote by Gast View Post
    Maybe it is a piece of cloth from which pennant were made of. That would explain why these tassels are still there. I could imagine that this piece of cloth could have been then cut to the particular pennant.

Another explanation -- it could have been used as the decoration part of a table cloth of a high ranking naval officer.

What do you think?

Gary
    Or, if we want to go full circle, a bookmark made from a pennant for a high ranking officer?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

If you ask me, I say no... I don't think so.

Do you still have any ideas?

Edit: it's too small for a bookmarker
    Last edited by Gast; 06-08-2012 at 12:05 AM.

i don't see anything confusing about the "tassels" frankly. maybe i'm wrong because i'm just looking at your foto, but to me it appears simply to be frayed from being cut. it is either frayed over time or someone "teased" the cross threads out to form the frayed ends on purpose at some point in time.
    as suggested earlier, someone may have simply found it to be an interesting or beautiful piece of trim and used it in a way in which frayed ends added to the look of it in their eye. perhaps even as, as has also been suggested, a bookmark. hell, sometimes i use receipts from the grocery store for a book mark. people would definitely use this if they liked it for whatever reason.

it's definitely trim from a Kriegsmarine pennant. the fraying either occurred from handling over the many years or was done on purpose.

?

The only reason that got me thinking TR was the way the hakenkruez is angled

?

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    i don't see anything confusing about the "tassels" frankly. maybe i'm wrong because i'm just looking at your foto, but to me it appears simply to be frayed from being cut. it is either frayed over time or someone "teased" the cross threads out to form the frayed ends on purpose at some point in time.
    as suggested earlier, someone may have simply found it to be an interesting or beautiful piece of trim and used it in a way in which frayed ends added to the look of it in their eye. perhaps even as, as has also been suggested, a bookmark. hell, sometimes i use receipts from the grocery store for a book mark. people would definitely use this if they liked it for whatever reason.

it's definitely trim from a Kriegsmarine pennant. the fraying either occurred from handling over the many years or was done on purpose.
    Now I think we are getting somewhere, yes, it looks like it has been cut, and maybe they are not tassels, just threads teased from the cut. A very good eye you have my friend.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast