MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone Know This Clown ?

Article about: This guy came in a grouping and I don't quite know how to explain him, clearly he's quite old, and he's heavy 8-9 inches tall and about 7 lbs. I think he's brass but not sure, no markings ot

Default Anyone Know This Clown ?

This guy came in a grouping and I don't quite know how to explain him, clearly he's quite old, and he's heavy 8-9 inches tall and about 7 lbs. I think he's brass but not sure, no markings other than the patina. The guy I bought the group from only knew that they were purchased by a collector (since deceased) and kept as a grouping for a particular reason. BTW I missed out on a grouping of 5 edged weapons by about 2 hours when I bought tthis clown, I blame my wife........I probably couldn't have afforded them anyway, but I can't help buy think What if ??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone Know This Clown ?   Anyone Know This Clown ?  

Anyone Know This Clown ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone Know This Clown ?
    P
    Many

Moved your thread here, where you might get an answer. No idea personally.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many many clowns worked with Poodles. Although each clown's makeup is very individualized, this one looks to simply be a generic get up. It is likely the statue does not represent any One person, but simply a "type". Interesting piece.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Many many clowns worked with Poodles. Although each clown's makeup is very individualized, this one looks to simply be a generic get up. It is likely the statue does not represent any One person, but simply a "type". Interesting piece.
    Interesting to know that about clowns.....I don't think I've ever seen a clown with a poodle but I've only been to a couple of circuses in my life. This guys costume seems old period style, regardless I'd like to know of any opinions regarding this piece, I have a couple of other toys in my collection but this one seems oddly out of place. Thanks for the reply.
    Ramon

?

Looks like one of the characters that would have been made in the "Allach" tradition. Obviously, as you stated made of brass or something and not porcelain.
    Best,
    Anzel

Speculation of course, but maybe an item used as a good luck piece or mascot attached to a (German?) vehicle...teddy bears were popular too...
    I suppose we'll never know for sure...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Interesting item , i was going to suggest it is Worzel Gummidge in a highly ecstatic mood after a binge on his favorite cream cakes balancing one of his extra turnipy swede heads on his right hand . If it is made out of brass 7lbs of brass is a fair value in scrap alone. Difficult item to evaluate otherwise unless it is signed. It looks like more of a bronze patina than brass perhaps?.

Quote by Anzel View Post
    Looks like one of the characters that would have been made in the "Allach" tradition. Obviously, as you stated made of brass or something and not porcelain.
    Best,
    Anzel
    Upon further research I find that Herr Himmler was especially fond of animal, historical figures, and things that idealized the aryan nation, mostly in porcelin but later produced in bronze/brass Pieces known as Nagy pieces. Produced in the Dachau concentration camp......ironic considering the misery I would think. But this little guy came from a WW II veteran's estate so I can't help but think that it was acquired during the 2nd world war. I will study this guy with a closer eye in case I've missed something. Thank you for your information. Best.
    fastfeet

This is for Ned!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Many many clowns worked with Poodles.
    Quite right. (Kinda figures, as clowns and poodles are two things I don't like.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast