Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Big Hitler's bust

Article about: Hi all..ižll appreciate your opinion on this big Hitler's bust (35 x 20 cm) marked W. Wolff 33 and Guss. M. Sperlich, i see some bubbles up to the eyes

Quote by Gwar View Post
    No, Slados28.. I am here to understand the construction methods and to enhance others that might be looking to add such a piece to their collection.. We need to understand and base further purchases on known examples like yours.. I don't think it is bad at all !! We need to further investigate what is good with it in order to learn good from "Fake".. My question was.. Do we rely on "Good" "Great" or "Original Example" without any other specimen to compare it to... And "Why" it's good.. No explaination other than "Period Example" You've created a very nice and interesting thread that shall IMO be read again and again !! G-man
    The construction methods is casting, examples vary and some greatly. There is really no way to break them all down as you wish. The larger examples such as this example here is an easy call because their not perfect and not meant at time of construction to be viewed under magnification, in sunlight, or with red circles. If you lose patina the flaws become more apparent as the finishing process hides a lot. This one by Wolff is more tricky as the artist has taken liberties with his skills and what sometimes might appear as a flaw is actually his model or interpretation of the subject. Accessing known examples is not all that easy either and going about explains why something is a certain way in some cases serves only to educate guys who would like to reproduce such an item. Does not happen much with these large pieces and the smaller ones are often the ones where you have to be careful.

So in the case of Walther Wolff his combined rendering, the process of manufacture, and standard condition issues all work together to play tricks on the eyes. Handle a bunch of these or look at them up close and the small pocks and imperfections would not disturb you in the slightest. That type of thing takes time and cannot really be resolved on a thread for one bust, never mind all of them as a guide using an example bust. Some things are best just left alone, this is one of those things and taking them one by one is the way to do it, this one is an original. ;@)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I understand and agree, it is no doubt a very interesting topic that seems to have had far too little focus/discussion --- at the very least with regards to amassing valid period info on makers and methods etc. I guess one of the reasons is that, A: they are relatively scarce (depending on maker) and, B: It is a seemingly narrow and specialized field of interest, as noted before. Also, it should e noted, that some simply don't even want/dare to obtain one for fear of having other "outsiders" believe they're idolizing Hitler in some way. Of course, they are also heavy and somewhat cumbersome to ship and deal with in general --
    Many also seem to look at any bust from any maker as simply another "Hitler bust", when they in fact differ greatly with regards to both execution, production and numbers --- kind of like what I experience with my other collecting interest; party badges. I relish the variety, different maker marks and the evolution of the badge and the production methods - whereas more casual collectors seem to not notice or even care about all these, to me, very interesting and telling little details.

Good busts in this category, from what I have observed, have these trademarks;

-Solid maker marks (if signed by artist and/or foundry at all)
    -Accurate and solid detail
    -None of the recognizable trademarks of a "cast of a cast" --- post-war recast
    -If available, features should be comparable to other known period examples, not saying matching to a tee here... there's a lot of personal touch going on observed from one example to the next
    -Convincing patina and/or wear
    -Not sure about this but it seems that most of these bigger ones will also be hollow casts -- these are already heavy enough...

Far from an expert, just relaying my observations and thoughts. I will also say again that looking at lots and lots of period examples, better yet having such items in hand, coupled with the general points above should lead you a long way. I couldn't put it more into words even if I wanted to... it's very much about the eye that observes. These must also be taken case by case... no one set particular feature to approve or damn any, imo.
    __________________________________________________ __

I must admit, this thread has once again renewed my interest in this topic and encouraged me to learn even more about these ---

?

I agree as well.. A topic that may have been far overlooked.. I have learned a great deal indeed.. Gwar..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

slados28, Thank you for taking the time and patience to describe and provide such findings.. Greatly appreciated. Gwar
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

After a while you become immune to what others think in regard to displaying one of these. I was very conscious of the first one I bought years ago being in the house, after a while it bothered me a lot less. I think people today are more open and interested than years ago in the 3rd Reich but a collector has to keep his feet on the ground as well. Political pieces are always the magnet for objection it would seem, only trumped by the SS.

Good to hear that others too have had this same experience with regards to this type of item. Although it certainly makes its presence known on display by its sheer size and expression alone I was never all that worried about displaying it... although, I have to admit, some of my friends thought I was crazy or had gone neo-Nazi on them the first time they saw it displayed
    Now they all understand my motivations and think it's fine and actually kind of interesting. One of my non-collecting friends even discouraged me from putting it up for sale recently as even he thought it was a special piece and that I should keep it. Kind of funny how it all turned around when they started getting the picture, even with an inflammatory subject matter such as this---

I do have experience in handling bronzes and in casting and would be happy to help in anyway.
    Just not having the piece in hand makes it rather difficult to juge (for me that is!).
    Here is a flee market find I did not that long ago;
    First picture is a picture frame I made during the life sale, at a good auction house;
    Third and fourth pic is a cast I made in plaster and in bronze of the same figure ( a african head).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drouot uitslag.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	849241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob sauter result.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	849242  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoofd.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	849243  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Pic's didn't came in the right order, but I guess you understood.
    ;-)
    |<
    cheers
    |<ris

MAP
    ?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Good to hear that others too have had this same experience with regards to this type of item. Although it certainly makes its presence known on display by its sheer size and expression alone I was never all that worried about displaying it... although, I have to admit, some of my friends thought I was crazy or had gone neo-Nazi on them the first time they saw it displayed
    Now they all understand my motivations and think it's fine and actually kind of interesting. One of my non-collecting friends even discouraged me from putting it up for sale recently as even he thought it was a special piece and that I should keep it. Kind of funny how it all turned around when they started getting the picture, even with an inflammatory subject matter such as this---
    Good for you guys. Education and explanation. Be sensitive but don't shy away.

While I have no busts and don't hang the flags up, I do not shy away from "showing" my collection to others. I explain that it is not about glorification but a passion to understanding the past and preserving the history for other. Also helps that I also have items for the Allies and other countries displayed as well.

But in the end they all understand after the "tour" and I almost have to kick them out of the "war room" because they don't want to leave (after some being "shocked" in the beginning...LoL)

Great thread btw...

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Good for you guys. Education and explanation. Be sensitive but don't shy away.

While I have no busts and don't hang the flags up,

Great thread btw...

Michael
    Same thing here! That is for TR busts and flags!
    |<
    cheers
    |<ris

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast