Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

BIG Nazi Steel Key????

Article about: Thanks for that link odal... Gwar

What an odd item, but Just odd enough that it may actually be something of the period. The reference to the eagle having Heer,Luftwaffe and SS elements is actually not so mysterious when you read the penciled description where it is, basically, guessing at the eagle being German, as it has a "little Luft, Heer and SS shape" to it. All he's saying is that it looks like a German Nazi-era eagle, not that it is actually part SS, Luft, etc.
    Now, as to what it actually Is or Supposed to be...that's the mystery. It looks to be pretty well made and machined and could likely be Functional for something. Ceremonial? Ornamental? It would have helped immensely if the writing had not worn off of it, but no such luck. Functional or not, it doesn't look to have ever been Used much at all, though. Maybe it was Hitler's private key to Eva Braun's boudoir....which would explain it only being used Once...lol Or, more sinisterly...maybe it unlocked Goring's secret bunker full of stolen art... Personally, I like the "Key to the City of Berlin" theory that it was meant to be run out and given to the lead Russian troops as they entered the city, so they would stop demolishing the place...but it's just a mystery we'll never know the answer to...
    Btw....It Looks to have a seam where the shaft and the eagle part join.....have you ever tried to see if it unscrews and contains something inside? Or then again, it could simply be where the Iron is joined to the Steel shaft.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    It appears that someone is just trying to reason on why the owner should give it up cheap before it is researched. I would not sell it until you find out what it is, but then again I would not sell it at all if it proves to be real.
    Interesting item
    Good luck finding that out Sherlock, let me know when you have the answer. If I want to steal something I wont go on the boards saying I think its original on an 80/20 split opinion to the opposite.

?

ajax3985 I don't recall anyone on this forum even slightly suggesting you as a culprit..Relax..
    We are just voicing opinions and theories...Gwar

Quote by Gwar View Post
    I think it's item worth investigating... No trashing here...Gwar
    Ps Ajax3895... There have been many examples that were "trashed or scoffed at" here only to be redeemed by our moderators... We should be asking questions to attain knowledge, then based on findings
    assertain ones legitimacy... Moderator Larry C had a GREAT post on 3-29-2013 that I believe all forum members should read...Gwar
    You got guys trashing it down the whole first page way I read it. That is a functioning key and its designed to function which will rule out presentation I think. Its not going to come apart to hide any hidden jewels or cyanide capsules and it has a steel shaft because that would withstand the locking mechanism it opened better than a cast iron. The key is real but your not going anywhere finding what it went to. The odds are strongly against that, it could be indoor or outdoor and wherever the doors or gates are they are probably long gone. You really should not need mods to fix this type of situation, it would easily be fixed if people who dont know the answer dont post. Jmo

Quote by Gwar View Post
    ajax3985 I don't recall anyone on this forum even slightly suggesting you as a culprit..Relax..
    We are just voicing opinions and theories...Gwar
    Alright, I thought that comment was aimed at me and I am just trying to get this piece away from the the danger zone and it will get picked at and knocked and joked about until its scrap. That's what happens when people spout off about things they don't know about.

True, ajax...it looks to be a functional thing, but if you look at the finish on both the grip and the key head itself, it looks very unlikely that it was ever actually inserted into a lock. There are no scratches or bumps on the head or the insertion tip portion and the eagle's black coating has not worn any appreciably from frequent handling and gripping. I do believe that it is more ceremonial than an intended working key. And, if it was, indeed, a ceremonial key, it could well have been for a virtually unlimited number of towns, cities, etc. Pretty much impossible to identify with the limited information available-which is almost nothing aside from the physical key itself.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I have many pieces I have bought and was "Burned" or given for that matter that were spurious..
    It doesn't retract from the "Knowledge" I have gained... Especially on this forum..
    I had a collection as big as a trash heap in the 80's only to be stolen... Did I know what actually had in my possesion... Absolutely not.... A helmet was a helmet a badge was a badge Period.... Most of the Mods here if not all have "The Best Knowledge" hands down..... I doubt any, if there are any worthy of their salt can compare to our forum.. That being said .. We all have opinions... Theses guys here have been in the thick and thin for years... I think by now most are the best in thier field... And for "Free".... Enjoy...Gwar

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    You got guys trashing it down the whole first page way I read it. That is a functioning key and its designed to function which will rule out presentation I think. Its not going to come apart to hide any hidden jewels or cyanide capsules and it has a steel shaft because that would withstand the locking mechanism it opened better than a cast iron. The key is real but your not going anywhere finding what it went to. The odds are strongly against that, it could be indoor or outdoor and wherever the doors or gates are they are probably long gone. You really should not need mods to fix this type of situation, it would easily be fixed if people who dont know the answer dont post. Jmo

Alright, I thought that comment was aimed at me and I am just trying to get this piece away from the the danger zone and it will get picked at and knocked and joked about until its scrap. That's what happens when people spout off about things they don't know about.
    Can you then please prove this is a authentic piece from the Third Reich period. I have my doubts and any evidences would be more than welcomed as it would do this item justice.
    As for "trashing" the item, I've seen far better items being "trashed" here than this. Once again, without any evidence IMO this item will remain a possible fantasy piece, otherwise any of us could make up a key that was "authentic".
    Also, note not one person here has called this item a fake or fantasy, we are just debating whether it is or isn't real.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    True, ajax...it looks to be a functional thing, but if you look at the finish on both the grip and the key head itself, it looks very unlikely that it was ever actually inserted into a lock. There are no scratches or bumps on the head or the insertion tip portion and the eagle's black coating has not worn any appreciably from frequent handling and gripping. I do believe that it is more ceremonial than an intended working key. And, if it was, indeed, a ceremonial key, it could well have been for a virtually unlimited number of towns, cities, etc. Pretty much impossible to identify with the limited information available-which is almost nothing aside from the physical key itself.
    Not really, look at the color of the shaft. That is a hardened steel shaft, its not going to scratch against a lock mechanism manufactured of lighter grade material. The bolt would be iron or steel but your not going to see wear to the shaft. There is no coating, that's cast iron and its just black. If the piece were ceremonial you would not need the hardened steel shaft, you would not need the shaft if it were a movie prop either. Its designed to open a lock and its not going to show wear anywhere, not by hand on the iron and not by the softer components of the internal lock. Every ceremonial key through the ages is done differently than this, they are not meant to withstand use and are manufactured of all kinds of materials some more ornate than others. That is not a ceremonial key, it opened a gate or a door and that is exactly what it is built for.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Can you then please prove this is a authentic piece from the Third Reich period. I have my doubts and any evidences would be more than welcomed as it would do this item justice.
    I do not care about your doubts, can you prove its fake?. How many items can you post here that you can definitively state are 100% and point to direct provenance?. You shot this piece up from the beginning and you did not even look at the construction or the attributes of the piece. You simply hip shot and you do not know what your talking about. There needs to be better photos and I would not even put them up here if I owned this thing.

Quote by ajax3985 View Post
    I do not care about your doubts, can you prove its fake?. How many items can you post here that you can definitively state are 100% and point to direct provenance?. You shot this piece up from the beginning and you did not even look at the construction or the attributes of the piece. You simply hip shot and you do not know what your talking about. There needs to be better photos and I would not even put them up here if I owned this thing.
    As many have stated before, the burden of proof is not on the one saying fake, but rather the one who says it's real. I can not provided period documentation saying this is fake, but you can provided period proof it is real.
    Calm down by the way, you are way too defensive.
    I don't know you from Adam, and with your 25 post I am not going to take your word for it, seeing that's all you've provided.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast