Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver

Article about: i have in my possession a shot glass (jigger) that i have been told was given to members that served on the bismarck battleship. it was made by alpacca. if anyone could help me identify this

Default Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver

i have in my possession a shot glass (jigger) that i have been told was given to members that served on the bismarck battleship. it was made by alpacca. if anyone could help me identify this item it would be appreciated. i am attaching photos. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver
    P
    Many

Default re: Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver

I think there were about 400 survivors from the sinking and the probability of a seaman remembering to grab for this item as he was fleeing for his life seems to me a bit odd.If true this item would be one of so very few in the world that it would be priceless,so judging from what I said I would bet that this is some sort of fantasy item

i came across another one owned by a fellow in ontario. he said it was passed down to him from his father. it originally belonged to his father's cousin who served on the bismarck. they may not of had these items with them on the day the ship was sunk, or they were not on board at this time.

Such trophies were usually given (if given at all) to sailors leaving a ship, not on joining. As the Bismark's operational career lasted little more than a week, no sailors were paid off as far as we can tell.

Just another fantasy item, I'd guess.

Cheers,

P.

Alpacca is a metal alloy and probably not a manufacturer name, it is made with copper and nickel as well as other metals and is also known as "German Silver"

Exclamation Re: Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver

Quote by waghunt View Post
    i came across another one owned by a fellow in ontario. he said it was passed down to him from his father. it originally belonged to his father's cousin who served on the Bismark. they may not of had these items with them on the day the ship was sunk, or they were not on board at this time.
    That seems to be a logical explanation but still I think these items would be as rare as Reinhard Hrydrich's personal dagger! I think that before I would buy this item from some one for any considerable amount I would like to have an iron clad provenance and a COA in hand.

Default Re: Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver

thanks for the info. this led me to berndorfer metalwarefabrik in berndorf austria. they made tableware and cutlery for germany through ww2 until seized by the russians towards the end. this factory is a spinoff of krupp steel who supplied the metal and guns for the german navy. this also led me to a cream pitcher and a dessert dish with bismarck markings. see attached pictures. thanks, this is a step toward solving the mystery.
    Attached Images Attached Images Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver  Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver 

There is difference between Jigger and Shot Glass. jigger is the two-sided measuring tool used in bartending. The shot is already discussed as well and it has been established that aside from it being a serving glass, it can also be used as a measuring tool. In fact, there are shot glasses that have measurement labels so it can serve the purpose of measuring[read more].
    Hope it add some value

Default Bismark Relic

I have had an interesting pot come into my shop it is a solid silver pot with a fragment from the Bismark. I am assuming it is a shell fragment. The date marks on the silver are 1941 and the jewellers where Page, Keen and Page. It commemorates the action of HMS Maori on the 27th May 1941, I imagine there are not many of these about.Bismarck battleship shot glass in silver