Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

A bit of a mystery

Article about: Hi Guys, I need some information if anyone has some to offer. The item I am talking about is the flag pole top,(Lanzespitzen) used mainly, but not solely by the SS during the conflict years.

Default A bit of a mystery

Hi Guys, I need some information if anyone has some to offer.
    The item I am talking about is the flag pole top,(Lanzespitzen) used mainly, but not solely by the SS during the conflict years.
    In the shape of a "spike" Usually I have encountered them being made of aluminum, and stamped M6, however, I have just had one in that is not alloy, and stamped M8 for metal accoutrements. The item is non magnetic, and perfoming a density test using water and a calculator, the nearest metal I have come up with is Zinc. It has a "gold wash" applied, but it does not rub off easily, Here's the interesting bit. It has some "rust pitting" along the blade, and is stamped with the SS runes M number and date. No RZM mark, which I believe should be 60.
    It came from a picker in Germany. Straight from a house clearance. I know this to be true.

Am I in a worry for nothing? coz if it is a fake, then I certainly have not seen another like it

Personally I think it's period, not SS but SA, but the stamping is a bit puzzling to me..........
    Thoughts gents please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A bit of a mystery  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A bit of a mystery
    P
    Many

No thoughts anyone?

no pics of the markings mate? the BDM also use said top

Thanks Ewan.
    It was actually bought as an HJ pole top, the markings are faint,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A bit of a mystery  

Hi Johnno,

It appears to me to be 'M3' the prefix for "Symbols or Emblems", does that make sense?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned
    Yes, under a loup (for the 3rd time) it does appear to be M3/40. That would make sense.
    I don't know why, i just have a feeling

I need to be really certain before it hits the site, as it's hard to build up a good name, but it only takes 2 mins to get it trashed