Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base

Article about: German Soldier w/ Helmet Bust + Base - made of bronze(?) + marble. 9" tall. Inscribed w/ "GPW v. Ulffz - Corps W.B.K. Stendal." Pics below <item #112> This is another on

Default Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base

German Soldier w/ Helmet Bust + Base - made of bronze(?) + marble. 9" tall. Inscribed w/ "GPW v. Ulffz - Corps W.B.K. Stendal."

Pics below <item #112>

This is another one of my favorites. I think I like the soldier busts the most especially when wearing a helmet.

As some of you guys have eluded to, my guess that alot of these pieces are bronze seems wrong. Any guidance on how to tell what metal a piece is made of?

Any idea of value?

Thanks
    KP
    Attached Images Attached Images Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base  Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bust of German Soldier w/ Helmet + Base

Funny, I was going to say that this could be an original commemorative piece, as there are a lot
    of repros of this style of bust. The brass plaque looks good enough, but on the bottom of the
    marble base is a UPC tag ! ? !

Most likely this has been put there recently by auctioneers to catalogue the statuette.

( I am having a problem viewing all these items as they are all just a black mass
    on my screen with no details, if any............They need to be photographed outside
    in natural lighting without a flash )
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-31-2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Not sure what you mean by 'coming up on screen as a black mass"? You can't see the pics at all?

I stopped using flash after a few pics and they look fairly detailed on my end. Maybe it is the web compression that is causing an issue.. I'll see what I can do to adjust. I have the original uncompressed pics but they are LARGE and not sure how I'd get them across.

The UPC sticker doesnt concern me as I know my Uncle acquired almost all of his collection thru Manion's auction house as I have a ton of receipts from there. Though I do also understand that many repros passed thru Manions so not saying its definitely original.

KP

I think it is an original, but I can't see any details.

It looks like a black outlined bust of a helmeted German soldier against a grey background.
    The 'brightness' and 'contrast' controls on my monitor are both at 100%,
    and the photos are still extremely dark.
    Regards,

Steve.

I'm going to try a different method. This piece was a little tricky to get good photos of due to the dark metal color. Will post revised pics soon.

What are some of the things you look for in a piece like this to try to figure out orig vs repro?

Most replicas, I notice, do not have genuine marble bases or engraved brass plaques, and they
    do not exhibit any honest 'patina' which almost all bronze statues, etc. are finally given when
    they are made - a similar technique to gun 'blueing' with chemicals and flame/heat.
    Copies I've seen lately have been around $40 - $60.

Keep the Manions paperwork for each of the statues/items, as this is part of their more
    recent 'provenance' and are important in preserving the value of the objects,
    if and when you decide to sell. (You may already know this anyway!)

I'm guessing, that if it's a good one, it could be worth maybe $200 to $300,
    and perhaps more, but I am really just guessing...........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

the pics are coming out great on my computer.....i guess the "up close" shots could have been a little clearer, but you can still get the gist of it. The upc sticker is what throws me off. Nice detail. If u have the paperwork for it, it will be worth something if it implies it as authentic. I agree with the value of an original around 2-300. I saw one at a estate sale for 100 that was said to be an original. Sell to a beginner collector or some1 who really likes the piece and you will do fine if selling. keep us posted if u learn anymore