Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify these eagles?

Article about: As executor of an estate of a friend who was a WWII B-17 bomber pilot, who was a P.O.W. twice, I found these 2 nearly identical eagles in a box in his garage among hundreds of antique radios

tesla82
    ?

Default Can anyone identify these eagles?

As executor of an estate of a friend who was a WWII B-17 bomber pilot, who was a P.O.W. twice, I found these 2 nearly identical eagles in a box in his garage among hundreds of antique radios and parts. His last internment was in a camp near Regensburg after being shot down from a bombing run by an 88 mm shell, and suffered from occasional problems with shrapnel near his spine until he passed away recently. I doubt he took these back with him at the end of the war (maybe purchased after the war?), but I know nothing about the history of these. Any info about these would help, as they are going to be sold and will go towards his estate. They seem to be hand cast, and I could not see any numbers or manufacturing stamps. One eagle's head is a lot closer to the right wing than the other eagle. Both are a little rusty and are in as found shape. Each eagle is about 6.5 inches from top of the head to bottom and 8.5 inches from tip to tip of the wings. Sorry about the grainy photos, I'm still trying to solve it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone identify these eagles?   Can anyone identify these eagles?  

Can anyone identify these eagles?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Can anyone identify these eagles?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

This pattern of eagle has come up for discussion on the forum before. They are certainly period in design but have been much faked and copied over the past 65 years. They have been described as both desk ornaments, door knockers, etc. The fact this one is devoid of any fitments to the reverse would make me think it was made up as a souvenir item. I have seen a great many of these over the last 33 years I have been collecting, made in cast iron, brass or alloy.

Cheers, Ade.