Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cast iron eagle with swastika, original?

Article about: Hey here i have a cast iron eagle with swastika, it has 'Berlin 1939' on the back and I'm pretty sure its an original due to where i brought it and the age on it. I was just wondering if any

Default Cast iron eagle with swastika, original?

Hey here i have a cast iron eagle with swastika, it has 'Berlin 1939' on the back and I'm pretty sure its an original due to where i brought it and the age on it. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what it may have been used on?
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast iron eagle with swastika, original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cast iron eagle with swastika, original?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cast iron eagle with swastika, original?

cant tell to much from the blurry image,,,how about a pic of the back lettering,,,this item has been reproduced for decades,,,,

Here you go sorry for the poor quality
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast iron eagle with swastika, original?  

well with the "b" of berlin missing or otherwise not casted well...i would believe this is a reproduction,,,as i said earlier,,these cast iron eagles have been around for decades,,,

Im sorry i said it was cast iron because that was all i could think off, it may not be however,i agree with you that these have been heavy reproduced but if i could give you a got high quality image you would see the ageing!
    Thanks again

?

I believe that you have a replica item I'm afraid. It appears to be a copy of the early pattern S.A. desk eagle. The eagles originally had stands on the back that allowed them to be displayed on top of a desk. Almost every example around today is without the stand and many have the stubs were the stands were attached filed down so that the eagles can be displayed on walls etc. I have also seen these original items advertised as pole tops and wall displays but they were not used for those purposes. Your piece has a straight wingspan design across the top of the piece, whereas the originals are more shapely. The slightly thicker swastika on your item is another sign that it is different to the original pieces. Just to confirm it, can you show a full image of the back? Not just the Berlin mark but the whole piece preferably. Light weight alloy copies of the early pattern S.A. desk eagle are also out there so be wary.

Regards

Carl

These have been discussed on the forum a few times.

I agree with Carl.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

For what it is worth, it is not all that difficult to put a very convincing patina on brass, or any other metal.

?

For anybody interested in seeing an original example of the early pattern S.A. desk eagle, visit lakeside trader's website (it should be the first item under sub-heading "field equipment and misc."). The item shown is often advertised as anything from a wall display to a pole top...nice to know that somebody ou there actually knows what they are selling! A nice, rare item.

Regards,

Carl