Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cleaning bronze bust

Article about: Just received a 1 1/2 lifesize Hitler bronze bust and, to me, it appears to suffer from some bronze corrosion in places --- so, does anyboy have tips as to how I should go about cleaning it

Default Re: Cleaning bronze bust

There are literally tons of ancient Bronze Roman and Greek coins that have been buried for many centuries in the ground under all sorts of different conditions imaginable, and they are still quite able to be read and distinguished. The old conservators, if they wanted to remove the protective verdigris for whatever reasons they may have had generally used a very slow method by soaking in olive oil. But, as mentioned above, it is pretty much a universal statement that verdigris is Never to be removed. If actually done, it would absolutely remove the patina of the bust along with the bronze finish itself and it would need to be Immediately reapplied by a professional. A very costly process that would not do this bust any favors, as it would then be an altered piece. I would not be overly worried about it, as at the rate of actual damage under the verdigris is not what you would call speedy. Your bones will long since be dust by the time there is much to notice.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning bronze bust
    P
    Many

Default Re: Cleaning bronze bust

Your bones will long since be dust by the time there is much to notice.
    Pretty harsh but probably true enough I will leave it alone for now -- perhaps a light coating of renaissance wax, as per Horst's suggestion. Thanks for your input guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2