Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Concentration Camp Glass with Swastika - Thoughts?

Article about: Hi there. I recently purchased this lovely glass at a boot sale. I was told by the gentleman that he received it from his grandmother some years ago, who told him it had come from a concentr

I'm sure i've seen the very same design of glass with the leaf? design, surprise surprise it had no swastika!...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Concentration Camp Glass with Swastika - Thoughts?
    P
    Many

Quote by big ned View Post
    The swastika has clearly been added at a later date than the manufacture and original cutting of the pattern in the crystal. It is extremely poorly done, not by a genuine glass cutting craftsman that's for sure. The swastika has uneven arms and is stunted and truncated, it's really sub standard when you actually take the time to look at it dispassionately.

Note how it overlaps the pattern in several places. I can assure you that having relatives who have worked in the lead crystal manufacturing industry of Brierley Hill here in the U.K., this would not be acceptable under any circumstances, and the piece would be destroyed.

I'm sure you could trot out the argument that it was made under wartime conditions, or under great duress by concentration camp prisoners, but this piece has never seen the cutting wheel of a "skilled craftsmen" when the swastika was added believe me.

It's the same as these pocket watches with SS Battalion rune decals added, or KM U-Boat engravings etched upon them, and let's not forget the ubiquitous cigarette cases with a crappy repro Totenkopf skull roughly soldered onto it. They're all crap that's been humped up from something that as it originally stands is worthless, yet with a little bit of sneaky "enterpreneurship" suddenly sells, all too easily these days for several hundred dollars or euro's. This is just another wrinkle on the same theme I'm afraid.

Always buy the item, never the story. In this case when you look at it for what it's supposed to be, it's extremely poor and lacking in any quality whatsover.

Regards, Ned.
    Thank you for your response, Ned. My father works in the glass industry, and is very much familiar with different glass types. I showed the glass to him. It's fair to say that the workers in the concentration camp may not have had high-end cutting tools, leaving them with limited options for cutting. The swastika has absolutely been placed on at a later stage, I'm not denying that. However, as I said the glass could have been brought to the camp by a guard. The swastika isn't perfect, but we must, as you said, take into consideration the fact that it may have been done under the harsh conditions of a concentration camp. Opinions have greatly varied over this piece, and I myself have questioned it. I understand that there is a world of fakes. However, I find it highly unlikely that forgers would create a glass like this rather than an SS cap badge or the like. I agree that the swastika itself isn't up to standard, but a few glass enthusiasts have looked at it and thought otherwise of the original pattern. I believe the swastika was put on during the height of the Third Reich, whether or not it was done in a concentration camp is a different story. I will let you know how I get on, but I have a good feeling about this piece. Cheers!

All the best,

Duncan.

And where might you have seen this? There will be other glasses like it, but I believe this to be the real deal!
    Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I'm sure i've seen the very same design of glass with the leaf? design, surprise surprise it had no swastika!...

I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could offer some pictures or evidence to support your points. I have a good few glass experts on my side, and some other items.

?

Quote by DuncanWilson View Post
    I have a good few glass experts on my side, and some other items.
    Feel free to share them with us, you are almost guaranteed genuine opinion backed up with reason on this site, unlike others I could mention...

Quote by CARL View Post
    Feel free to share them with us, you are almost guaranteed genuine opinion backed up with reason on this site, unlike others I could mention...
    Hi there, Carl.

I'm simply asking for more constructive criticism. Here are two glass boxes that have the same design. This is from a highly reputable dealer of mine, yet he is unable to provide any authenticity at all. I simple want to know the reasons as to why this may not be a period item. I accept that the swastika is poorly done, but that is no reason as to why it may not be a period item. Cheers!

Concentration Camp Glass with Swastika - Thoughts?Concentration Camp Glass with Swastika - Thoughts?

"And where might you have seen this? There will be other glasses like it, but I believe this to be the real deal!"
    It was only a couple of months ago when i visited Krakow, the glasses were for sale at the Plac Nowy flea market!..

"I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could offer some pictures or evidence to support your points. I have a good few glass experts on my side, and some other items."
    Sorry i didn't really feel the need to take photos of a couple of pretty uninteresting glasses, my memory is pretty good and as i said they were the same design as yours minus swastika!..

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    "And where might you have seen this? There will be other glasses like it, but I believe this to be the real deal!"
    It was only a couple of months ago when i visited Krakow, the glasses were for sale at the Plac Nowy flea market!..

"I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could offer some pictures or evidence to support your points. I have a good few glass experts on my side, and some other items."
    Sorry i didn't really feel the need to take photos of a couple of pretty uninteresting glasses, my memory is pretty good and as i said they were the same design as yours minus swastika!..
    Do you see the error in that argument? Even if you did see other glasses like mine, they may have been produced at the same time. The only difference is, mine has a swastika on it, meaning it's been handled at some point for the purpose of Nazism. It may be modern, but the glass most certainly isn't, and I don't believe the swastika is either.

Duncan,
    Without the ability to hands on compare the glass to other period pieces, the members here are trying to give you the best info they can. If you feel good about it and have "glass experts" to back it up, why even ask. Display it and enjoy it. Don't ask for input and then raise your hand and say I disagree because I know experts. Stick with what your "experts" have told you....

I completely understand this. However, surely we are able to debate this piece? I'm probing with good intention. I will question opinion in order to see the rationality behind thinking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast