Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??

Article about: Hi Folks, I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place, anyhow, I acquired this cigarette box from the sister of the vet who brought it back from the war, She told me that both her brot

?

Default DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??

Hi Folks, I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place, anyhow, I acquired this cigarette box from the sister of the vet who brought it back from the war, She told me that both her brothers served in the New Zealand Army in WW2 and this box came back from north Africa with one of them.
    The original German soldier who owned this item has really loved it as he has had his name Hans Könnecke engraved on the lid lift edge and it is quite tiny. He has then turned it over and scratched his name signature into the bottom, plus the year 1939 on the base of one of the legs. Please click to enlarge images.
    My questions are, is it likely a German officer would have had a desk cigarette box in the field in North Africa, and is there any way of finding out who officer Hans Könnecke was assuming only officers would have such a thing.
    all opinions greatly appreciated,
    thanks
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??   DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??  

DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??   DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??  

DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??   DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??  

DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??
    P
    Many

Default Re: DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??

Hi Mart, a nice original item.

These were private purchase, so in theory anyone could buy them, but it would most likely have been an Officer, who would have more use for one.

Many men took really odd items with them to the front, so who knows?

Personel files are closed so research will be difficult. But is might be worth searching the German war graves site.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: DAK Cigarette Box and owner's name ??

Thanks for that Ade,
    have taken your advice visited that site, if I did the research bit correctly, I think Hans may have made it home,
    many thanks
    Mark