Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Desk ornament ????? Real ?????

Article about: This is at a local auction, this is the only image available...opinions?

?

Default Desk ornament ????? Real ?????

This is at a local auction, this is the only image available...opinions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Desk ornament  ????? Real ?????  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Desk ornament  ????? Real ?????
    P
    Many

Default Re: Desk ornament ????? Real ?????

A Wee bit soft on the details, but....it has possibilities!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I t is the only thing military in the whole auction...perhaps the pictures are just making it appear soft ???? Not really the best photo quality, lol!
    What should i look for if i go to this auction, obviously cast marks, etc...should the base be marked?

Makers marks, numbers, a date, does the attaching bolt and nut look dark and/or rusted....check for handling wear and condition. One would think that after being handled around for 70 years that it would show at least Some signs of it. In the meantime, do an image search on the net and see if this particular piece comes up anywhere on the replica sites. If it does.....run away!
    William

It looks like an early SA pole top with the locking disc missing from the bottom. I'm not too keen on the solid background around the swastika, it looks very poorly cast and I've not seen one before where this hasn't been cut out. I don't like it much, but maybe it's just me.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I agree with Ned on the inner wreath still being intact. It is only a half an hour away , and Friday eve... so worth the trip to get out of the house, lol ...gotta go check it out!

It's a February day in Pennsylvania.....why Not go? Maybe they'll pull out a box from under the tables and find some unadvertised cool things in it as well! You never know! I've found more amazing things in those $1 bid junk boxes from emptied out drawers and cabinets. Is what makes auctions fun!
    William

Check this linky out, that's what I was thinking about.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/flags...ty-flag-11397/

The bad news is if you punch in 'Nazi SA Pole Top' into Google images, the one at the top of this thread shows up for sale on iOffer with dozens more the same or very similar.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Close match, but not completely... The round base under the wreath is much different and the eagle is noticably different as well-the leg feathers, the sharpness of the wing shoulders, etc. The one in the link looks pretty much fake, but the one first posted....? *shrugs* I'd say inspect it in person before dismissing. Although "Nazi Stuff" always goes silly pricing on auctions anyway, but who knows? If it goes cheap enough, it might be worth taking a shot at it.
    William

?

Yeah, did that, i have my doubts, but like i said, i have nothing better to do, lol ...i will go check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast