Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dinner service gifted to Hitler

Article about: I'm looking at purchasing a bowl/plate that is part of a dinner service that was gifted to Hitler by Miklos Horthy from Hungary. Purchasing from a high end collector who directly purchased f

Default Dinner service gifted to Hitler

I'm looking at purchasing a bowl/plate that is part of a dinner service that was gifted to Hitler by Miklos Horthy from Hungary. Purchasing from a high end collector who directly purchased from the vet. I did find this about the service and makers marks for the item:

Lot Detail - HEREND VASE PRESENTED TO ADOLF HITLER BY MIKLOS HORTHY, CAPTURED AT THE BERGHOF

If anybody knows anymore about this I would appreciate the help. What do you guys think? Dinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to Hitler

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dinner service gifted to Hitler
    P
    Many

Well I went straight to the source. Herend Porcelain Manufactory. They are still in business today. Herend is a Hungarian manufacturing company, specializing in luxury hand painted and gilded porcelain. They confirmed it is original and a piece of the dinnerware that was gifted. Now I'm just getting all the authenticity and provenance together to keep with the piece.

Doing your homework is critical when considering buying a piece like this. So you are going about the appraisal the correct way.

Thank you Anderson. I've received the item in the mail. It's a stunning piece. Per Herend's response: "Thank you for your inquiry.
    This is a real historical item. Herend Soup Plate Queen Victoria - VBO pattern, produced in the thirties. (Since 1851 the Manufactory produce this VBO decor.) Would you be so kind to send one more image from the back a total photo? I return back to you after the holidays."

I've sent the photo's that they have requested but I guess they must take a long break for the holidays. I wish I got that kind of holiday break! Here are some additional photos with different lighting, close ups, etc. I noticed under the blue Herend logo there is also a Herand imprint in the porcelain.

Dinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to Hitler

I received an email back from Herend on the Piece:
    Thank you for the images.
    Miklós Horthy, the Governor of Hungary, ordered a complete dinner set that he gave to Hitler as a gift.
    It sold last year in an Australian auction house. Of course, your plate is original as well.

Nice to have it authenticated.

So is your plate from the Australian (or is that Austrian?) auction, or is a separate piece?

I do not believe this piece is from the Australian auction. The gentleman who had these lives in NJ and he said the were a direct veteran purchase. He said the veteran that he received these from said they were acquired from Martin Bormann's residence in Berchtesgaden. So I'm guessing this dinnerware was split up at some point. For some reason he thought the coat of arms on the bottom of these pieces was Bormann's because that's where these were found. But in actuality the coat of arms belonged to Miklos Horthy.

Two are better than one! I was offered a second plate and couldn't pass it up! Both are in mint condition. Nice addition to the collectionDinner service gifted to HitlerDinner service gifted to Hitler

Fake!

MAP
    ?

Quote by saxwald View Post
    Fake!
    Could you help everyone out by at least providing some support to your view. I'm sure it would be more beneficial and allow people to learn if you provided some support.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast