Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Donitz Baton

Article about: I came across a lady at a gun show and she said she had Donitz baton in her bank box. She inherited from her brother who died. She had this article which credited her brother with owning it.

Default Donitz Baton

I came across a lady at a gun show and she said she had Donitz baton in her bank box. She inherited from her brother who died. She had this article which credited her brother with owning it. Any chance? She did have an original confederate civil war uniform - worth about 25k.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Donitz Baton   Donitz Baton  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Donitz Baton
    P
    Many

Wauw!!
    Would be the score of a lifetime if you could get hold of that!
    Any price on it?

She said no price yet. Just inherited it and not sure what to do with it. I think she's thinking mid Five figures

She probably should donate it to a museum!

Like anything in this stratosphere, provenance is king. How did her brother come to own it? Was it even used by Donitz ? mention made of a gold version with a British regimental museum. I would think the Supreme Commander would prefer gold to silver. Also talk the silver one cast from the same die, so when did that happen, during war time or after the war? How many other copies might be out there?

Near perfect replicas are being made that include jewels beginning at 8K

That was quoted by Steven Wolfe of Wolfe Hardin at the 2015 Max Show when I showed him my repro Herman Goring Baton..worth $400 brand new. > Max Show 2015 - Monroeville Pa. October 1st to 3rd

As Anderson stated to find out the whole provenance and not some old lady who inherited it as we have heard a Soooooooooo many stories of items taken off of dead Germans or given to GIs at Labor camps.
    This day and age ..the story sorrily must come 2nd if there is no truth.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry,

I just sent her a message about provenance, etc. I'll let you know what she says. The one thing that made me think "maybe it could be" is that she had genuine civil war uniforms $$$$$. Who would be able to authentic a real baton? Anyone able too without provenance?

All of us here have a genuine something of anything ...which would also put us in the category of owning a baton ..Whether Donitz Goring or some high school cheerleader

Just because someone has a high dollar item doesnt give credence of them owning anything else expensive until they Prove it.
    Not picking on you nbushy ...but just want to keep you focused on the facts first only.

Looking forward to what she says

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Of course - just meaning he had means to buy some quality stuff.

I wrote to Thomas Wittman to stear me in right direction. This is what he said

"Yes, I know about this baton as it was at I show I attended maybe 20 years ago.
    At the time, we knew there was another baton at a museum in the UK, so there
    was the question of could there be two, and if so, were they both original?

As you know an original Baton is of huge value and I think before a buyer could be
    secured, the question of why there are two of them would have to be addressed and
    answered with a solution that the collecting community would embrace.

At the time I saw the baton, the person that had it was not interested in selling it, but
    maybe times have changed. You might contact Jason Burmeister regarding the Baton,
    as he is the US representative for Herman Historica, the premier European Auction house.
    They have experience with selling Batons in the past and possibly would be able to determine
    the originality and the reason for the existence of two of them, and would possibly be interested
    in consigning the item. "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast