Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Early Berlin Pewter

Article about: Is anyone familiar with crests or coats of arms? I have a pewter beaker ,i think circa 1700, from berlin. it has a coat of arms on it and the maker is J.G.N. i would greatly appreciate any h

collector666
    ?

Default Early Berlin Pewter

Is anyone familiar with crests or coats of arms? I have a pewter beaker ,i think circa 1700, from berlin. it has a coat of arms on it and the maker is J.G.N. i would greatly appreciate any help in identifying it.Early Berlin PewterEarly Berlin Pewter

2. # ADS

Default Re: Early Berlin Pewter

You're about 200 years out mate. This is an early 20th century wine or beer beaker made for the tourist industry. It reads "Greetings from Berlin" and was bought in the thousands by visitors to the city as a memento of their trip. There are also other identical ones that are annotated "Gruss Aus...." Munchen, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Klagenfurt ...etc, etc. Just the coats of arms change. The one above is a variation, the Imperial coat of arms 1889-1918.

I think the maker is more likely "JRM" a manufacturer of beersteins and beakers that were either all pewter or had pewter fittings like the lids and handles etc. The above piece has a value of between £15-£25.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 06-22-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: Early Berlin Pewter

Another point pinning down the age of this piece is the decoration around the coat of arms planchette, it's classic Art Deco.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

collector666
    ?

Default Re: Early Berlin Pewter:

here is a picture of the bottom with Early Berlin PewterJ.G.N

Default Re: Early Berlin Pewter:

Quote by collector666 View Post
    here is a picture of the bottom with Early Berlin PewterJ.G.N
    And......?