Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other

Article about: Hi all, I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.. I recently acquired many german wwii military collectibles which are mostly bronze style statues + medallions. I have ma

Default Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other

Hi all,

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction..

I recently acquired many german wwii military collectibles which are mostly bronze style statues + medallions. I have many receipts of the items which were bought from 'manions' but its hard to match stuff upI am wondering if anybody could help me figure out:
    1. How do I value these items? I know a little bit about wwii but not a ton.
    2. What would be the best thing to do with them as far as selling or consignment? Can anybody recommend a reputable consignment place in the US?
    3. Any guidance on how to tell if items are real or reproductions?

Feel free to private message me and I'd be happy to share some photos. I only took photos of a few of the pieces so far but I would love to get some opinions from experienced folks such as yourselves.

Thnx!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other
    P
    Many

Default Re: Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You have come to the right place. My advice is to post pics here of each of the items concerned. The forum members will be able to advise on both originality and value.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like a great site.

Is it best practice to create one forum thread per item or is it better to just keep a collection of items on a single thread?

Is there a size limitation for posting pics? Please let me know if I can do anything to well organize my information + contribute to the site. I am working on my picture quality so hope to improve that soon.

Here are a few things that well represent the lot of items that I have. I am wondering what exactly they are and if somebody can give me a sense of value. Also, have I selected the right forum category for these types of things (art)?

Item #1 - Winged man statue (bronze?)
    Item #2 - Olympic torch statue (wood?)
    Item #3 - Iron Cross (real? replica? how do i tell?)
    Item #4 - Nazi Medal (red box w/ "25")
    Item #5 - Coin(?) - Gen. Rommel on front, camel on back
    Item #6 - Pin / Medal - 2 crossed swords with swatstika
    Item #7 - Pin red w/ black eagle

I have also included 2 pics of a random assortment that I took from a high level. Anything pop out of interest to anybody?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other   Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other  

Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other   Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other  

Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other   Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other  

Estate w/ many german wwii statues + medals + other  

Lots of things there........

Not all pieces are 'military', but are 'military related', like some of the statues. You should post them individually, and get as many responses on each separate thing, not group comments.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi, like Steve has said, individual threads on each item with good clear detailed photos are best.

A couple of observations on these:

Item #3 - Iron Cross
    Item #4 - Nazi Medal
    Item #6 - Pin / Medal - 2 crossed swords with swatstika
    Item #7 - Pin red w/ black eagle

3) The cased Iron Cross 1st class looks dubious from this photo. Better pics needed.

4) 25 year Faithful Service Cross: nothing wrong with this, totally original.

6) War Merit Cross 1st class with swords. Much better pics needed. It stands a chance.

7) Post war West German Bundesverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse. Original.

Cheers, Ade.

I like the winged man, any chance to get more details, like weight, size and more pic's.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks everybody for the info so far. I will post up these items + more in seperate threads.

I will also post more detailed pics of the winged statue. It is a bronze statue I believe. While its not super heavy, it is def a solid piece. I would guess 3-4 lbs. 15.5" top to bottom.

There are some scratches on it towards the thigh area of the legs mostly on the back. And some very minor marks around the wing area. It looks really nice tho overall.

Here is the way Manion's catalog described it when it was purchased back in 1998. They listed it for $450 but my uncle paid $685. Not sure how these auctions w/ Manions worked though but maybe $450 was starting price.

Any guesses as to the current value of this piece?

Additionally, what exactly is this artwork known as? Are these pieces that were made in Germany around the Nazi-period and considered Aryan style art?

DESCRIPTION:
    NSFK WINGED MAN DECORATOR-STATUE: Dark gun metal bronze applied color to standing man resting on orb as he spreads his wings. Very art deco + Aryan. Metal square base. Approx 15.5" tall.

The winged man and the Wooden Labor figure would be of interest to me. But the Germans were using various metallic compounds early in the 1930's so probably not bronze.

Based on the whole look of the lot I would be surprised if its anything special really. But if you can use a camera I will have a look.

Photos: allach1@orbitelcom.com

please do show better pics of the heer desk eagles with large swastikas

I took some better quality pics and will post seperate threads for each item. Do you guys usually upload the pics directly to forum or link via photobucket to get the best quality? The forum upload seems to deteriorate the quality by recompressing the image. Any tips would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast