Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found this Himmler portrait for sale

Article about: I check local listings quite often for WWII items of interest and this painting recently showed up. I don't know much about art in general, especially art from the time period, and was wonde

Default Found this Himmler portrait for sale

I check local listings quite often for WWII items of interest and this painting recently showed up. I don't know much about art in general, especially art from the time period, and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this painting or ones like it. The seller states that it is an oil painting by an artist named "Janowski" and that it was dated to 2/17/42. He also claims to have documentation though I don't have any picture proof of it, and he says that it was a G.I. bring back from the fall of berlin from a russian soldier, and that it sat in his attic for 65 years. A likely story however true or untrue it is. The photos are seller photos and aren't super great but its all I have to show. Thanks in advance!

Found this Himmler portrait for saleFound this Himmler portrait for saleFound this Himmler portrait for saleFound this Himmler portrait for saleFound this Himmler portrait for sale

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found this Himmler portrait for sale
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

If your painting a portrait of Himmler , you better get the swastika right ! Junk .

I find it hard to believe this is any kind of official painting, the face is fairly good but the rest of it is garbage, for instance the odd swastika and it being angled to the front, also the tiny totenkopf on the cap.

?

I must say that the face is very good but as already said above... I'm with the rest. Bad swastika and the whole visor is wrong.

Wood frame and canvas look pretty new for a more than 70 years old piece.

Color by Numbers ?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The SS stamp on the wood isn't anything I have seen on any Third Reich or SS art...

Canvas looks very new to be 70 years old.. I would think there would be some yellowing...

Smitty

Agreed! With Third Reich items fetching big bucks these days no small wonder all the forgeries out there. Ashame but always unscrupulous people trying to make a killing out there.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I agree the insignia in general on it are quite off, my only saving grace was that it could have been a one off piece done by an independent rather than an official piece for the government. I see I was quite wrong, thanks for clearing it up, I'll be more careful in the future.

I found a thread of a Portrait I bought also ..possibly by the same artist using tea bags to age the reverse and a nice touch with a SS stamp and signature

A $55 US gamble
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast