Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Fuhrerbunker plate

Article about: Not for Vegemite use! You might notice a small stamp on the back, that says:'Nur für Sauerkraut!'

Thinking about the provenance provided by the letter did you research British officer J. P. Ledboer in any UK Military records?

I initially thought Ledboer might have been part of Churchill's entourage when Churchill famously sat on a dilapidated chair reported to have been from Hitler's bunker but this was 16 July 1945 rather than just a few days after "the fall" when Ledboer writes he was in the bunker complex. (I wonder what happened to that chair afterwards....firewood I guess)

Fuhrerbunker plate

Who were the first British units to enter Berlin and when exactly did they arrive?

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk

The surname "Ledboer" doesn't appear in any results on the above site? Is the spelling correct?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fuhrerbunker plate
    P
    Many

I've just been looking at the blokes letter, I think it may be J.P. ledeboer. It's difficult to make out because of the handwriting. The address in the top right hand corner is printed and is: 28, shrewsbury House, Cheyne Walk, London SW3 5LW.

Sure,it's not Cheap, but that 9 1/2 inch plate of Wittmann's would make for a Hell of a display piece with your next size smaller plate. Picture the 2 of them together. The pair would be Killer. If I were you, I'd be seriously considering purchasing it! It's really not That bad in price, when you consider what a measly Spoon or Fork sells for from there these days! Maybe he would agree to making payments on it?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'd definitely be happy to have the plate but I would display it seperately to the bunker plate, I reckon the bunker plate is a one off with that provenance but I like anything from the chancellery so I'd certainly be happy to have another! Once I've sorted out a few other things I've got on the go, and if it's still available, I might look at it.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I've just been looking at the blokes letter, I think it may be J.P. ledeboer. It's difficult to make out because of the handwriting. The address in the top right hand corner is printed and is: 28, shrewsbury House, Cheyne Walk, London SW3 5LW.
    I think this is definitely he:

J. P. O'b Ledeboer . Temporary Major, 1945, Beds And Herts Regiment.

Peter Ledeboer. 28 Shrewsbury House. Cheyne Walk. London SW3 5LW which was the address of the Alpine Club.

J. P. O'b Ledeboer was a committee member of the Alpine club also. Peter was probably the son.

The fact Ledeboer mentions a French officer being in Berlin and taking plates from Hitler's bunker would suggest the time period was somewhat longer than a few days after the fall of the city and more July 1945 when American, British, and French forces moved into their designated sectors in Berlin. We know from photos taken in July 1945 there was still much that hadn't already "liberated" from the ruins. Burned-out buildings do retain the smell of soot for a long time afterwards.

Confirming that the Beds And Herts Regiment (and Ledeboer) were in Berlin would be the final piece of provenance and IMO would be worth the time spent investigating

Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thank you Stefan, I appreciate you finding out this extra info for me. I had no doubt at all as to the plate coming from the bunker but it is nice to find out a bit of info on the bloke that took it, I had no idea where to start with that. The letter that the he wrote regarding the plate was written in 1995, fifty years after he took it from the bunker so it is quite possible that the exact time he took it became a bit blurry to him, there is not much difference between May or July for an elderly man when trying to recall an event that took place fifty years earlier. The plate is a great piece with a great history and I'm very pleased to have it, I'll share anything I find on the man who took it here. Thanks once again Stefan.

?

Great info on your vet , I should really try and find the number I had of the daughter and ask name of the vet that brought mine back, I forgot to add my plate is 9 1/2 inches in size , rgds Dave

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6