Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Funeral Banner & Funeral Armband

Article about: Attachment 217030Attachment 217031 Tell me what you think of this banner which has a wound badge attached. Also, thoughts on the armband. Any thoughts on value??? Regards, Patrick.

?

Default Funeral Banner & Funeral Armband

Funeral Banner & Funeral ArmbandFuneral Banner & Funeral Armband
    Attachment 217030Attachment 217031
    Tell me what you think of this banner which has a wound badge attached.
    Also, thoughts on the armband.
    Any thoughts on value???
    Regards,
    Patrick.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Funeral Banner & Funeral Armband
    P
    Many

Default Re: Funeral Banner & Funeral Armband

I like the little hanging banner if you sell it, cant say much about it other than its interesting.

Kris

Never seen a banner like it before, but I like it too. Very nice indeed.

The armband would be worn for funerals.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Nice items, I think the banner represents the coming back to the Reich of the SAAR which is also seen on various plaques etc.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

So, what value could I place on this funeral banner? (In US Dollars)

Hard to say really, embroidery is nice, condition is o.k. Saar reunification is not the hottest subject really. I would offer you 300.00 for it.

Best,

Kris

Can you post a photo of how that is hanging and the dimensions?

?

Hello All,
    The dimensions of the cloth are 7 inches by 10 inches, not including the fringe or the wooden rod.
    To me, it appears the the front side wreath signifies the fertile fruit of the Reich. The acorns and the wheat are both ripe. Signifying the German Soldier in his prime. With the Eagle flying in the sun.
    On the back side the acorns are dropping and the wheat has spread it's seed. To me, this signifies the fallen German Soldier. The Eagle has gone. (into the sun?) The handshake thanking the soldier for his service to the Reich.
    That is my interpretation.
    I am unsure about the Saar connection though, and would like to know more.
    Could this be Luftwaffe?
    I am including some more pics.
    This came from the estate of a US 87th Infantry Division Veteran.
    The 87th was known as the Acorn Division.
    Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Patrick.
    Funeral Banner & Funeral ArmbandFuneral Banner & Funeral ArmbandFuneral Banner & Funeral ArmbandFuneral Banner & Funeral Armband

Quote by pow69 View Post
    To me, it appears the the front side wreath signifies the fertile fruit of the Reich. The acorns and the wheat are both ripe. Signifying the German Soldier in his prime. With the Eagle flying in the sun.
    On the back side the acorns are dropping and the wheat has spread it's seed. To me, this signifies the fallen German Soldier. The Eagle has gone. (into the sun?) The handshake thanking the soldier for his service to the Reich.
    That is my interpretation.
    Your interpretation is an interesting one, but to be honest, I beg to differ.

First of all, I don't see any wheat in the wreath. The wreath is actually half oakleaves and half laurel leaves, oakleaves signifying strength and laurel signifying victory. This combination is not too unusual; it was also used on the wreathes of several Luftwaffe badges (for example the Pilot's Badge, Observer's Badge or Airgunner's Badge), of the WW1-era Prussian aviation badges and of the WW1-era commemorative badges for former airship- and tank crew members.

The handshake symbolizing the thanks of the Fatherland to a fallen soldier is also rather conjectural; it's just not the kind of symbolism one would expect on a death/funeral related item.

Finally, from the size, suspension method etc., this is clearly a table flag of some kind. I really see no plausible use for it in a funeral ceremony/memorial service.

?

Thanks HLP,
    I did not know that the leaves were Laurel! I did not have my plant identification book handy, but I am glad to know that they are Laurel.

Maybe the handshake relates to the Saar returning to the Reich as one person previously stated. Or, it could be the loss of a Comrade, the link between life and death, etc.

I don't think it's table flag because of the hanger.

I think it was made for, or presented to the Family of the deceased. Perhaps they then pinned the wound badge onto the banner.

Great for conversation though.

Thanks again!