Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gebergsjaeger Period Water Color

Article about: I thought I would share this with everone. This is a water color painting of a Gebergsjeager, Finland, 1941. There's a Sutterlein script name written on the reverse, but I can't make out the

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Default Gebergsjaeger Period Water Color

I thought I would share this with everone.

This is a water color painting of a Gebergsjeager, Finland, 1941. There's a Sutterlein script name written on the reverse, but I can't make out the artist's signature on the front.

The frame appears to be the original and the paper has yellowed and is showing some signs of light foxing.

I've had this in my collection for about 20 years. Not an old world masterpiece, but the artist was pretty good.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebergsjaeger Period Water Color  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Gebergsjeager Period Water Color

Very interesting piece Mike... I always enjoy seeing nice & unique things such as this.

Grüß Gott Stabsfeldwebel Mike,

Nice watercolor! Probable done by another Gebirgsjäger in the unit. I have a special interest in Gebirgsjäger artwork and have many works in my collection...some by Gebirgsjägers and others by Kriegsmalers (war artists). Here are a few examples:

Wink Re: Gebergsjeager Period Water Color

Patrick!

Wonderful images...

I am looking forward to seeing more if you have such an opportunity to show them here.

If I may ask, what is the English language definition of Gebirgsjägers?

The two images you show after the watercolour; They seem to be drawn with charcoal; But on what kind of paper?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, it seems that you have posted these images here via an IMAGESHACK - URL hosting service. Did you experience difficulties using our forum image posting feature? I ask this, as in time, these images will be dropped from IMAGESHACK, and all that will remain here in this post will be dead-links.

Grüß Di' Richie,

Thanks! What's new in Sevastopol?

The first three images are from the same Kriegsmaler, Josef Buchty, who was attached to the 1st Gebirgsdivision. His two study sketches are drawn in Conté crayon on textured paper. I have a porfolio of his with about 80 sketches and a few watercolors. I'll try to get some more posted later.

The literal definition of Gebirgsjäger is Mountain Hunter, but it's more correctly defined as Mountain Troop or Mountain Trooper. I am also interested in other World War II Mountain Troops like the US 10th Mountain Division, Italian Alpini, French Chasseur Alpin, and others.

As to my image posting via IMAGESHACK, that's the way most other forum want images posted. I did not have any problems, just didn't realize that your image posting was any different from other forums. I'll try your posting feature next time.

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Berg heil, Patrick!

Mike

Default Re: Gebergsjaeger Period Water Color

Patrick,

Again, great stuff and I am looking forward to seeing more...

As far as I know, Sevastopol is still intact. Wife is over there visiting Mama and caring for Babushka. She says that the economy is good, the building of private homes and "reconstruction" of apartments is busy. She also noted that the dreary "change of season" weather that usually occurs about this time has not arrived yet. People are still swimming, sunbathing, and adorning summer "wear"...

As far as Imageshack is concerned; after a while the images tend to "disappear" and all that is left is a dead link. It would be nice keep these wonderful images on the forum permanently.

I'll modify your post by directly adding the images. OK?

Hello Mike and Patrick. These are wonderful artworks you have shown. I would love to see more of both collections when either of you have another opportunity to post.
    All the best,
    David

Servus David,

Here are some postcards that I have with Gebirgsjäger artwork:

operheim
    ?

Nice Gebirgsjager portrait SGM!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast