Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German cigarette case with Eastern Front Medal on the front + initials

Article about: I have to admit I really don't like it either -- this is a perfect example of how to inflate your return on two cheap items by combining them, making it all into one "unique" perio

Default German cigarette case with Eastern Front Medal on the front + initials

G'day all,

I bought a few new items from a well known militaria dealer on the weekend, one of which is a German cigarette case with an Eastern Front Medal attached to the front, and above that, initials.

The pics-

Just thought id share. Cheers-
    Darren.L

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German cigarette case with Eastern Front Medal on the front + initials
    P
    Many

I have not seen one like this before and cannot comment on authenticity etc. But I certainly like the look of it. Nice simple design. Was it common for medals to be incorporated into 3rd Reich trench art do you know?

To be honest, I am not keen on these type of things. This is a national decoration and to stick it on a cigarette case would certainly have be frowned upon.

It is all too easy to take an old case and glue something onto it. This a favourite fakers trick. It would not be for me sorry.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Interesting observation Ade and one that I had not considered - probably stupidly - before.

Cheers
    Tim

Hi Tim, I am seen many things like this before, especially on flea markets in Germany and Poland.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know this piece is not a fake, The militaria dealer I got this piece from is well known here, you'll never find a fake in his collection. That said it wouldn't surprise me if these kind of things are faked all the time though they are usually pretty obvious when they are.

Personally I just liked it, as both a militaria and tobacciana collector it really appealed to me and I got it for a good price.

Ade,
    I've seen other military items over the years where a soldier has used a medal or badge to adorn a personal item, not many mind you but they are around, some undoubtedly fakes.
    I guess not all soldiers held medals in high regard, certainly not as much as we collectors do.

Cheers-
    Darren

I don't like this, I wait for Ned's advice(for his Bentley?)

Hi Darren, if you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

ALL dealers have bad items every so often though. Always be on your guard.

Cheers, Ade.

I had not considered the point about it being a national award. I can imagine a soldier nowadays being reprimanded for sticking his medal on a cigarette case. May have been done post war though by veteran who wished to commemorate his time in the East. Just throwing it out there

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I had not considered the point about it being a national award. I can imagine a soldier nowadays being reprimanded for sticking his medal on a cigarette case. May have been done post war though by veteran who wished to commemorate his time in the East. Just throwing it out there
    There is no way of really knowing who did it or when, maybe a German or allied soldier did it, or maybe like you said, a Vet did it as a neat keepsake.

I respect that to some of you, sticking a medal on something is a bit taboo but to me, its still a peace of history and a unique item.

Thanks for the comments/opinions.

Cheers-

Darren.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast