Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is this a good DAF desk emblem?

Article about: I'm not sure what to call this, but it's a DAF emblem meant to adorn a desk, or so I believe. Do you guys think it's good? I've never seen one before, and it seems like a good price, as the

Erno: Erhard & Söhne GmbH is still in business but are now manufacturers of containers and packaging, and are a subsidiary of Magna & Steyr A.G. According to the latest business listing, Erhard & Söhne was founded in 1844 and is still a family operated manufacturing business in Schwabische Gmund. I could not find an email address for the company, but the postal address is Güglingstrasse 94, Schwabische Gmund 73529, Germany. My guess is that if you send them a photo of the item you have, they can tell you exactly what is represents and when it was made. Dwight

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Erno: Erhard & Söhne GmbH is still in business but are now manufacturers of containers and packaging, and are a subsidiary of Magna & Steyr A.G. According to the latest business listing, Erhard & Söhne was founded in 1844 and is still a family operated manufacturing business in Schwabische Gmund. I could not find an email address for the company, but the postal address is Güglingstrasse 94, Schwabische Gmund 73529, Germany. My guess is that if you send them a photo of the item you have, they can tell you exactly what is represents and when it was made. Dwight
    Thanks, Dwight! I never thought of looking up the modern day company. I will contact them and see what they have to say. Hopefully, they won't be too concerned with forgetting their years of operation between 1933 and 1945, as some companies are.

Erno: You are sure right on that point. Luke and I had that problem with the company that made his toy Stug. III during the war. But Erhard & Söhne GmbH a strong history of making fine products unrelated to the war, although during the war they were a licensed manufacturer of German military awards as well as other products . Their luxury products from the late 19th Century into the 1920's are very pricy collectors' items. The most famous is their spinning top ashtray that they patented in 1938. I think you have a good chance of getting an answer from them. Good luck. Dwight

?

Erno: You are sure right on that point. Luke and I had that problem with the company that made his toy Stug. III during the war. But Erhard & Söhne GmbH a strong history of making fine products unrelated to the war, although during the war they were a licensed manufacturer of German military awards as well as other products . Their luxury products from the late 19th Century into the 1920's are very pricy collectors' items. The most famous is their spinning top ashtray that they patented in 1938. I think you have a good chance of getting an answer from them. Good luck. Dwight
    Thanks! I hope they'll be able to shed some light on it (and understand my broken German).

I can understand some companies' reluctance to discuss their wartime activities, but at the same time, Nazism was the prevailing ideology in Germany at the time, and to go against it would have been foolish. Besides, it's probable that no one at their firm today was even born then.

?

I got the desk piece today, and looking at it in person, I'm certain that it's original. The emblem itself appears to be heavy cast aluminum, and the mounting hardware is steel. The base is black bakelite with a cardboard insert in the bottom, upon which is stamped the maker's mark. The overall construction is very high quality.

I'll take some photos as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for the help with this!

?

I took some photos!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8435.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	326.0 KB 
ID:	649086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8433.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	649087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8432.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	649088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8431.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	321.8 KB 
ID:	649089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8430.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	324.0 KB 
ID:	649090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8429.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	649091

Nice - has an air of quality about it. Even if it were fake,
    it makes a great centerpiece for display.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice - has an air of quality about it. Even if it were fake,
    it makes a great centerpiece for display.........!
    Thank you! I agree; it makes a great display. For me, it's doubtlessly genuine, based mostly on the base. At first, I was concerned that it may be a fake DAF emblem placed on an original base, but there's a small indent where the emblem hardware fits that is sized exactly for that, so they were both clearly made to be a set. The seller is a veteran that was stationed in the Germany in the mid to late '50s, but I can't guarantee that he got it there.

Incidentally, I wonder how this would be used. It is obviously decorative, but I'm not actually certain if it was meant for a desk or something else.

Erno: I'm certainly no expert, but to me that piece has all the hallmarks of a genuine article. It looks terrific. Dwight

?

Erno: I'm certainly no expert, but to me that piece has all the hallmarks of a genuine article. It looks terrific. Dwight
    Thanks Dwight! I really like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast