Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Heer Plaque

Article about: Does anyone know what the name is for this plaque or it's maker?

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Mint: Refering to an earlier post, this is a minor point, but I do not think that your plaque was made in 1933, the year that Hitler became the German Chancellor. Rather it was most likely made sometime after June 1935. My reason for that is that following the “Night of the Long Knives,” 30 June-2 July 1934, Hitler began to consolidate power. One of the moves he made was to have the Reichswehr swear allegiance to Adolf Hitler on 2 July 1934, the same day that Paul von Hindenburg died. A year later, on 31 June 1935, the Reichswehr became the Wehrmacht and from that date forward wore the Hoheitsabzeichen (Eagle and Swastika) over the right breast pocket. I doubt that a plaque of the type you have, would have included the emblem prior to 31 June 1935. Dwight
    I think you are correct about the date, good catch about the emblem type this is why I double-check! My suspicion has been that this was a Nazi/Wehrmacht piece that was meant to celebrate/commemorate their "union".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Plaque
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I hope the German firm can throw some light on the original purpose of the plaque. But many are sensitive to admitting to connections to Third Reich cooperation and now claim amnesia or lost records, when someone asks. Hopefully some information will be forthcoming.
    Yep! Most firms want to pretend that period didn't even exist - based on past experience with how companies react to anything related to the TR period.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Mint: It has been a week and I have not received an answer from Identity Sign, GmbH in Pforzheim. Therefore, I sent an email today to Münz-Prägstatt GmbH, in Munich, since that is the company that acquired the original B.H. Mayer's Kunstprägeanstalt KG in 1998. Let’s see what happens. In the meantime, I have three questions; is that plaque a hollow-back, what does it weigh, and what is the metal it is made from?
    If I do receive an answer to this email to Münz-Prägstatt GmbH, in Munich, I suspect that I will be told that all the company records were destroyed in the air raid on 23 February 1945. If that is the answer I get, I will accept it, because on that date, 367 RAF Lancasters utterly destroyed 83% of the town’s built-up area and 90% of the town center, which included the place where B.H. Mayer's Kunstprägeanstalt, KG was located. Dwight

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Mint: I have three questions; is that plaque a hollow-back, what does it weigh, and what is the metal it is made from?
    Great history lesson -

In answer to your questions:

1. I think this would be considered a hollow-back, I added 2 photos to show more details of the reverse.
    2. I will need to weigh it but it feels like only a few ounces.
    3. I do not know the metal of construction but it is magnetic, according to the link from #3 it was die struck.

Heer Plaque
    Heer Plaque

Mint: Thanks for your quick reply and the additional photo. It is hollow-back and not aluminum as I thought it might be. It is definitely struck, which is all the B.H. Mayer's Kunstprägeanstalt did. Those split rivets look like they might have been used at one time, but like the plaque they are it excellent shape. I think it was intended to be mounted on a backboard of some kind, such as a frame or a wooden stand. I don't recall the Germans being big on do-it-yourself arts & crafts projects, which is what this thing would lend itself too. Maybe these were made in large numbers for a single buyer who manufactured desk ornaments, or something like that. It would also work as an ornament of a large, leather photo album. The possiblities are almost endless. Dwight

Mint: I have tried several time to contact muenzpraegstatt.de but my server keeps telling me that the address cannot be found. Apparently the company is out of business. So, we are down two for two; one won't answer and the other doesn't exist. The important thing is that the plaque has found a good home and will be put to a good use. All the Best, Dwight

?

Thank you for trying Dwight! The rest of the information that this thread provided was very helpful, perhaps someone will see the image and know what it was for. I will update you when my project is complete.

Mint: I look forward to seeing it. The Best, Dwight

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3