Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Nazi Spoon information

Article about: Hello, First post here. I just found this spoon in a box of regular old silverware I purchased at a auction. Although its hard to see in the photo there is a tiny swastika below the eagle on

Brian J
    ?

Default Help with Nazi Spoon information

Hello,
    First post here. I just found this spoon in a box of regular old silverware I purchased at a auction. Although its hard to see in the photo there is a tiny swastika below the eagle on the back of the handle. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or information.

Hopefully I have attached the pictures correctly

Thank you,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Nazi Spoon information   Help with Nazi Spoon information  

Help with Nazi Spoon information   Help with Nazi Spoon information  

Help with Nazi Spoon information  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Help with Nazi Spoon information

nice unexpected find,well done.

It's not a military-issued item, definitely civilian...Speculating by the markings that it could possibly be from a railroad dining car or similar...
    cheers, Glenn

Brian J
    ?

Thanks Glenn and Harryamb....It was quite a surprise to find this in a box of random knives and forks. Ill do some searching in the dining car direction.

Thanks again,
    Brian

The piece is made by WMF, Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik AG, of Geislingen, Germany. The pattern is Modell 1500, called "Chippendale (old)" by collectors — "old" because another Chippendale style pattern was introduced by WMF a few years later. Modell 1500 was designed for WMF by Kurt Mayer in the years 1924-1926, then was in production from 1926 through 1967.

The "Patent 90" designates that the piece is plated with the standard thickness of silver at the time, which was 90 grams of silver on a standard "12 x 12 plating lot," which consisted of 12 tabellöffel (soup spoons) + 12 tabelgabeln (dinner forks). The "18" means that 18 grams of silver were used to plate a dozen of your little teaspoons.

So, the maker and pattern of this spoon at least do not rule out the possibilty that this spoon is genuine.

On the flip side and FWIW, Snyder's Treasures shows monogrammed pieces of this pattern belonging to Adolf Hitler (AHO-24, AHO-25, AHO-26, AHO-37) and Eva Braun (EBS-70, EBS-71, EBS-72, and possibly EB-001 — these are in a case, so I can't tell, but the verbal description fits).