Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Needed Id'ing German Unit Sterling Cup

Article about: Picked up this interesting little German Sterling silver Shot Glass/cup and was hoping some one here might be able to identify which unit it is marked with. Anyone? William

Default Help Needed Id'ing German Unit Sterling Cup

Picked up this interesting little German Sterling silver Shot Glass/cup and was hoping some one here might be able to identify which unit it is marked with. Anyone? William

Help Needed Id'ing German Unit Sterling CupHelp Needed Id'ing German Unit Sterling Cup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Needed Id'ing German Unit Sterling Cup
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help Needed Id'ing German Unit Sterling Cup

I'm guessing at Seargeants Corps 1. Regiment, Field Artillery Battalion 285.

I'm more sure of the hallmark as being for Bruckmann & Sohne of Heilbron. But the hallmark appears to be around the period 1910, so possibly a WW1 regiment?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Am thinking you're pretty much spot on,Ned! Thanks! I had wondered myself if it was 1st or 2nd World War and am following your thought and leaning toward WWI too! It's hard to tell exactly,of course,but I'm pretty sure you're right here! Thanks loads! William

Hello again Ned ! Your answer got me all interested in researching Bruckmann silver marks ! Well,after looking over half the world's supply of Bruckmann silver objects,I finally came to the conclusion that the Bruckmann eagle with the dust mop tail and not having a circle framing around the eagle itself-along with the skinny crescent moon,that this is a mark from the WW2 era afterall. Weirdly enough,I found most of this out by comparing the tons of Hitler flatware pieces out there and yep-the hallmarks match perfectly,so,apparently,now we know that this is actually a WWII era piece! (Not that it matters much anyway-it only cost me a few dollars,but hey...lol) Check out Wittman's #32389 AH Formal Pattern Spoon pics and you'll see what I mean! Next on the research list,I guess,is to hunt down the 1st Regiment Field Artillery Battalion 285! Thanks again,Ned! William

William & Ned

I don't think that "1st Regiment Field Artillery Battalion 285" makes any sense as a WW1 unit designation. Logically, a Battalion is a sub division of a Regiment but a German Regiment would not have 285 Battalions so I don't think that is the explanation.

The mark "FAB" does not match any recognised unit marking from the WW1 era and the use of the "/" is usually indicative of post WW1 unit markings although very occasionally there are unofficial marks from WW1. The correct designation for a Field Artillery Regiment was F. A. R. or Fd. A. R.

I suppose as this is not official issue then it doesn't have to follow official practice for unit marking.

Sorry I can't be more positive then that.

Regards

Richie