Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Unit ID appreciated!

Article about: Just discovered this piece of vintage jewelry...I know I've seen this shield before...Prussian Unit or Freikorps perhaps? All input appreciated! cheers, Glenn

Default Help with Unit ID appreciated!

Just discovered this piece of vintage jewelry...I know I've seen this shield before...Prussian Unit or Freikorps perhaps?
    All input appreciated!
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Unit ID appreciated!   Help with Unit ID appreciated!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Unit ID appreciated!
    P
    Many

with a Moose antler I would have thought USA or Canada Glenn.

I don't think they're Moose-antlers, Harry....Elk or Reindeer is more my leaning...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 03-14-2015 at 06:45 PM.

The elk antler (Elchschaufel) usually has something to do with East Prussia (Ostpreußen).

Thanks Andreas! I'd seen it before...appears to be kind of Sweetheart Pin...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I found it, Thanks Andreas! This is the emblem of the 24th U-Flottille originally based in Memel....I knew I'd seen it before...appears to be kind of Sweetheart Pin...
    Could be, or veteran-related... But to be perfectly honest, I think it most likely has no connection to to that flotilla, but to the Ostpreußische Landsmannschaft or just East Prussia in general. Have a look at some currently available "merchandise" with that coat-of-arms:

Geschenkartikel - Preussenversand.de- Spezialversand für Ostpreußen, Westpreußen, Schlesien, Pommern und das Sudetenland

Google-ing for that symbol, I found this interesting article on the elk symbolism for East Prussia (I know you have no problem reading it):

http://www.ostpreussen.de/uploads/me...tpreussens.pdf

(It tells me that the elk antler was also used as a unit symbol for the East Prussian Leichte Flak-Abteilung 71.)

Thanks again for your kind assistance...the links have been very helpful and educational...
    We'll pass on this one, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Could be "Beobachtungsabteilung 11" too.

The emblem is still in use but in relation to Nazi Germany the use of the elk antler was granted to the Memel Ordnungsdienst by Himmler.

The emblem in wear in 1939.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Unit ID appreciated!  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast