Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this Hitler's signature?

Article about: I recently acquired this thank you note that was signed by Hitler. I am uncertain whether it is actually signed, or it is a stamped signature. I suspect it is a stamp. Opinions of value soli

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Is this Hitler's signature?

I recently acquired this thank you note that was signed by Hitler. I am uncertain whether it is actually signed, or it is a stamped signature. I suspect it is a stamp. Opinions of value solicited. Let me mention that I have a note like this on my website with nothing written on it. Just the name & Berlin. The size and look are the same - identically the same.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this Hitler's signature?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this Hitler's signature? 

2. # ADS

pjm
    ?

Default Re: Is this Hitler's signature?

Interesting card. It's not a generic thank you but specific to someone, perhaps a musician, who participated in a specific event.

In the note, Hitler is thanking (in grateful remembrance of the pleasant hours I experienced thanks to your artistic participation) the individual and sending a package of coffee as a gift.

It's hard to say if the text and signature are original. Perhaps you could post a close up. The lines in the "H" look somewhat more handwritten than the typical fascimile.

i agree with Phil ! its a fasimile

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Any opinions of it's worth? That is one opinion that is not freely shared.

pjm
    ?

Here's a facsimile AH signature from a document dated July 1939. I don't know how often the signature was updated or how many variations were in use at any given time.

As a fascimile it has no discernable pressure marks and ink flow variance.

There are many blank cards in circulation and many have been altered with faked messages and signatures. Konrad Kujau produced Hitler's fake diaries in the early 1980's. He also did other "work."

But there are also many used original cards with fascimile signatures on the market. These were sent out in great numbers as acknowledgements for birthday and holiday greetings, etc.

What is interesting about yours is that it is not a generic example. It specifically thanks an individual but one who is unnamed. That also raises a certain suspicion.

It would be best to have a serious dealer or collector look at the card. Photos and scans can only provide a limited basis for accessment and appraisal.

In the meantime, you can search the web for other examples for sale. The price range, however, is great and depends on the usual criteria.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this Hitler's signature?  

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by pjm View Post
    Here's a facsimile AH signature from a document dated July 1939. I don't know how often the signature was updated or how many variations were in use at any given time.

As a fascimile it has no discernable pressure marks and ink flow variance.

There are many blank cards in circulation and many have been altered with faked messages and signatures. Konrad Kujau produced Hitler's fake diaries in the early 1980's. He also did other "work."

But there are also many used original cards with fascimile signatures on the market. These were sent out in great numbers as acknowledgements for birthday and holiday greetings, etc.

What is interesting about yours is that it is not a generic example. It specifically thanks an individual but one who is unnamed. That also raises a certain suspicion.

It would be best to have a serious dealer or collector look at the card. Photos and scans can only provide a limited basis for accessment and appraisal.

In the meantime, you can search the web for other examples for sale. The price range, however, is great and depends on the usual criteria.
    Thanks for the info! Do you know of any REPUTABLE authorities on Hitler's signature I could submit it to?

pjm
    ?

There are several names that come to mind. Bill Shea is one and I've dealt with hime since I was in high school in the late 60's.

He has a website under the Ruptured Duck.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by pjm View Post
    There are several names that come to mind. Bill Shea is one and I've dealt with hime since I was in high school in the late 60's.

He has a website under the Ruptured Duck.
    Thanks for the info! I visited his website. His prices are not bad - on a par with mine. I sent him a scan - maybe I will send the card to him if he wants to see it.

pjm
    ?

Great. Bill is a professional and will give you well considered advice.

What I find interesting about the signature is the "H" - the left side loop doesn't have quite the usual curve and the top right loop is broken. The rest of it has the usual number of peaks for this period although the last one trails off a bit unfinished.

It may be that this is a fascimile and other cards for the same occasion may all have these attributes. However, I have lots of examples of fascimile signatures as it was a standard on Mother's Cross and many other state award documents. They are typical of the signature I posted above.

In any case, it's worth investigating.

Regarding buying Hitler’s autograph (not related to this but in general) would you really want to spend 2 or 3 grand on something you truly have no way of knowing is real? Sure the seller you buy it from may be honest but he got it from someone who probably got it from someone else.

I actually collect autographs of wrestlers and celebrities. And autographs can look real but are in fact fake, on the other hand they can look fake and be real. There is no real way of knowing.

Take this example.

I met Arn Anderson once at a paid signing once outside his hotel. Look how the autographs differ:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4169/1011705td1.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2893/1011709hx2.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast