Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe ash tray

Article about: Hello all, I have a ash tray that I was told was a bring back after the war. I have never seen anything like it and was wondering if someone can tell me about it.

?

Default Luftwaffe ash tray

Hello all,
    I have a ash tray that I was told was a bring back after the war. I have never seen anything like it and was wondering if someone can tell me about it.Luftwaffe ash tray

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe ash tray
    P
    Many

Lightbulb

Germany was very keen on this sort of thing - anything marked 'Erinnerung' roughly translates as 'souvenir of..' or 'memento of...'.

Hildesheim was ( and still is ) a small airfield in Northern Germany which hosted a flying club between the wars as well as some Lufthansa commercial flights. Gliders were built there in WWII and it was taken over as a Luftwaffe flying school. Although not an 'operational' base it was bombed by the Allies late in the war.

The ashtray is a nice piece and a typical thing for Allied soldiers to 'liberate' - it would have been given to students by the Head of the school.

I thought it was an FJ base during the war although I may be wrong ?

The only reason I say so is that a mate of mine was based there in the 80's with the RA, he has a funny tale of there being a monument to the FJ's outside the NAAFI or close by and the drunken squaddie's would often piss on it on the way out at night !

Cheers

Thumbs up

Not a permanent FJ base - but it's almost more interesting.....

Apparently, prior to the Eben-Emael attack, an area close to Hildesheim was found which was similar in profile to the Belgian fort so the Fallschirmjager based their ( then top-secret) Eben-Emael training at the airfield, hence the memorial. This may ( but I'm guessing ) also tie in with the airfields' glider connection....

?

Thanks everyone! Thats pretty cool

I like it!! I sure would use it to crush out my Newports.

?

I thought it was pretty neat. It now resides in my WWII collection with my German memorabilia