Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nazi chair. thoughts?

Article about: Here my opinion I do not like it,I have seen mirrors desks and other furniture pieces with this stamp on it and never like them.Always on cheap pieces of furniture anyone could have a stamp

Default Re: Nazi chair. thoughts?

Here my opinion I do not like it,I have seen mirrors desks and other furniture pieces with this stamp on it and never like them.Always on cheap pieces of furniture
    anyone could have a stamp and put the markings on it.
    No US or British soldiers would have brought back those type of items back home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

I agree with chris. The young soldiers back then in their late teens to early and mid twenties IMO didnt have much use for a cheap chair. One also has to keep in mind that some things were sent home postal..most Items picked up had to be lugged along with them until it could be sent. My Dad brought home a lot of souveneirs but not more than he could lug along and carry with him. I can imagine this young soldier carrying a cheap chair to his next battle along with his weapon and all his kit. Also, most of the men were sent home on ships when the war ended...I just wonder if they would even let him carry this aboard considering the limited space to stow gear. Sorry, but I would stay clear of this...............Regards, Edwin

Okey,I'll throw in my 2 cents worth...I Like it. It looks exactly as one would expect for a cheap Army office desk chair. Certainly not a Commandant's chair,naturally,but for someone sitting in the front office answering telephones,etc-absolutely. And,yes-I do,indeed,see normal wear on it,such as on the rungs,etc. It wasn't obviously abused or beaten,but then again,why would it have been? As for how it was brought back and when-there's been US servicemen stationed in Germany since before the war even ended and are still there today. I've seen all Sorts of absurd things sent back,from ashtrays to automobiles-there's nothing unbelievable about some dumbhead sending back an office chair as a souvenir-perhaps from the US base office where he had to spend so much time sitting. If it was from,say,a quartermaster's base office,shipping would have been so problem at all. Who knows? Of Course,the US military would have made use of such a thing-why Wouldn't they? They certainly weren't about to send back to the States for every stick and piece of furniture they would use in their bases. They used what they had available on the spot,and if they needed an office or desk chair and there was an ex-German building with chairs in it they needed,guess what? They used them. Is it valuable? Not really... More of a curiosity as well as a still imminently usable desk chair with an interesting story,is all.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Okey,I'll throw in my 2 cents worth...I Like it. It looks exactly as one would expect for a cheap Army office desk chair. Certainly not a Commandant's chair,naturally,but for someone sitting in the front office answering telephones,etc-absolutely. And,yes-I do,indeed,see normal wear on it,such as on the rungs,etc. It wasn't obviously abused or beaten,but then again,why would it have been? As for how it was brought back and when-there's been US servicemen stationed in Germany since before the war even ended and are still there today. I've seen all Sorts of absurd things sent back,from ashtrays to automobiles-there's nothing unbelievable about some dumbhead sending back an office chair as a souvenir-perhaps from the US base office where he had to spend so much time sitting. If it was from,say,a quartermaster's base office,shipping would have been so problem at all. Who knows? Of Course,the US military would have made use of such a thing-why Wouldn't they? They certainly weren't about to send back to the States for every stick and piece of furniture they would use in their bases. They used what they had available on the spot,and if they needed an office or desk chair and there was an ex-German building with chairs in it they needed,guess what? They used them. Is it valuable? Not really... More of a curiosity as well as a still imminently usable desk chair with an interesting story,is all.
    I gave you my opinion,not to make you mad ,I just do not want any collector to be taken by someone just adding a stamp on a item .

Hmm...don't see anyone getting mad around Here...I just said that I Like it and it looks good to Me. As for the stamp on it-it could have been,as you say,added postwar,or it Could be original,as I suspect it Might be. As Eric said earlier,the German's Did use such supply markings,and,of course,they were notorious for marking virtually Everything under the sun. The stamp,if it Is original,is located in the logical place-on the Back,where it wouldn't be worn off and lost by regular usage,which makes sense to Me,anyway. I can't really see why someone would want to fake something as mundane and basically worthless as a common rank and file desk chair,but then again,who knows these days. Nothing surprises me much anymore...

Dont think Chris ment anything personal by it. Simply that it is a high risk with out provenance these things do exists but very hard to prove.

ERIC

Time for the dendrochronologist of the forum to whip his head out. : )

If you wanted to get technical, it actually wouldn't be hard at all to determine the age of this chair...

Why would one trap a muskrat?

Wink Re: Nazi chair. thoughts?

Just a guess here,but I'd say,probably for the....hides? William

Ok, so I have never posted on a forum and I don't really know how this thing works. Sorry to get in your conversation, but I have two matching nazi chairs in my possession that I got "junking". If you don't know what that is, it is a day every month in germany that everyone puts things on the curb of the street that they don't want. Anyone that wants to can come by and pick up anything that they want can just drive by and go through the things on the curb. It is something they do in that country. My parents and I were junking with a german woman one day while my father was stationed over there and we picked up these two chairs and took them home. We didn't even know they were Nazi chairs until we moved them one day and the green upholstered seats fell off of them and the eagle emblem is burned into the chairs where the cushions go. I don't know why someone threw them out, but they did. This was back when the berlin wall fell. Can someone tell me how I can find out what they are worth on the internet? I live in a small town in Kentucky, so I wouldn't travel to find out, since I wouldn't sell them anyway. I would appreciate it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast