Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nazi Wristwatch

Article about: by Adrian Welcome, I agree, not the most 'Swiss' piece of the watch makers art. I suggest it's a post war fabrication and the fact there are two swastika shields is also slightly odd. maybe

Default Nazi Wristwatch

Hey guys,

I was hoping that someone out there could help me in identifying a new item I found. The front of the watch (as seen in the picture) contains two swastikas, the words "AVENE Ancre 17 Rubis", and "Incabloc Antimagnetic". Then the rear of the watch (as not so clearly seen in the picture) contains the words, "Swiss Made", "Shockabsorber Antimagnetic", "waterprotected", "Stainless Steel Back".

Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Nazi WristwatchNazi Wristwatch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nazi Wristwatch
    P
    Many

Default Re: Nazi Wristwatch

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

IMO this is a fantasy piece made after the war. If it is Swiss made, it's a surprisingly non-neutral gesture to manufacture a watch like this during wartime .

Cheers,
    Andy

?

Welcome,

I agree, not the most 'Swiss' piece of the watch makers art. I suggest it's a post war fabrication and the fact there are two swastika shields is also slightly odd.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Got to agree with my two colleagues, post war fantasy piece.

Just look at the watch from an outsiders perspective, why would there be two swastika national shields on the face, abit to out there and proud as well as the fact it was made in a neutral country. Would have been more convincing without them IMO

Jason

I really appreciate the info guys. Thankfully I only picked it up for $5 (which probably should have told me something about it in the first place). Anyways, still a nice piece for the collection.

Thanks Again,
    Patriot26

The watch is actually a good piece if it's in working condition, but not WWII.
    Decals are not unlike the kind you would find on 1/6th model figurine
    helmets - and were probably applied quite recently.........
    Regards,

Steve.

the lugs and hour markers put this thing in the 60s. maybe late 50s imo.

there are two swastikas likely because the forger did not know enough about watches to be able to remove the hands to get one centered decal placed, so he moved the hands to the 12 noon position and applied a decal to the right or left and added another for symmetry.

i am having trouble with the idea that the face of this watch matches the case back. to my knowledge, a swiss-made watch is going to say this in small print around the 6 o'clock position on the face AND on the case back. that doesn't seem to be the case here. so my suspicion is that the case back and face do not belong together which makes me wonder what kind of movement is in there.

anyone heard of an "Avene" watch? the face is saying it's a 17 jewel movement, but again... there's a lot of glare coming of that case back and again, i'm not sure if they belong together anyway for reasons already stated.

Watches of many types and make, some period others not, we're emblazoned with these Swastika symbols and SS ones, SS Tank Regiments etc. all bogus and retailing for around 20-40 DM in Berlin in the 80's-early 90's for sure....I bought one.

It's easy money.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I've only been able to find one other Avene watch on the Internet, and that did seem to have the same backing as this watch. But other than that one other watch, I can find no other record of Avene watches.

I forgot to mention that Incabloc watches, although invented in the 1930's, did not appear as everyday affordable timepieces, as this is, until the mid 50's as others here have mooted for a date on it's manufacture.

Old wristwatches are available in bulk for very little money, $2 or $3 each is very common; stick a modelling decal or two on it costing cents, and each watch will sell for a pretty tidy profit of several hundred percent at least everyday.. That's what these people do, as I said it's easy money.

BTW, the watch may not be made by a company called 'Avene', that may be the retailers name, a common occurance.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast