Nude Art Deco dancing girl. Josef Lorenzl?

Article about: I have this little figurine that has been in my family as long as I can remember, and I wonder if anyone has seen something like it before. It is about 8 or 9 inches tall, on a machined alum

Default Nude Art Deco dancing girl. Josef Lorenzl?

I have this little figurine that has been in my family as long as I can remember, and I wonder if anyone has seen something like it before. It is about 8 or 9 inches tall, on a machined aluminium base which I am unsure if it is the original one or not. I spent the morning googling 'art deco bronze dancing girl', and found work by a man called Josef Lorenzl that looks to be the same. I'll add a couple of pics of a piece I found by him alongside my photos. Sorry the pics are poor, I was looking for my good camera but I've just moved house and I have no idea where it is..... working with a blackberry camera again

I think she is great, and I'll use her for display with some TR items once I get my new office organised

The one I found online.

Name:  lorenzl-bronze-dancer-2.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  11.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	lorenzl-bronze-dancer-1.jpg 
Views:	1327 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	426910

My figure.

Name:  156731_10151268421967118_1251093970_n.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  27.7 KBName:  67804_10151268422227118_1444053262_n.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  31.5 KBName:  599946_10151268422662118_1115275068_n.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  34.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Nude Art Deco dancing girl. Josef Lorenzl?

KtradSpam: Josef Lorenzl, 1892-1950 was a Austrian artist during the height of the Art Deco period, 1925-40. He is famous for his nude, female dancer sculpturs. We worked primarily in bronze, but also produced pieces in chryselephantine, a gold/ivory medium. I have never seen or heard of any of his work being done in aluminum, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Though he was in Austria during the NS period, I have not read anything about any sort of nazi involvement and I don't know how the Nazis received his work. Here are three examples of his work that are similar to yours. Dwight

Name:  art 3.jpg
Views: 2159
Size:  21.1 KBName:  art 2.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  19.6 KBName:  art 1.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  65.0 KB

Kradspam, I believe yours may be a copy. There are significant details
    in the hands and face that do not match the other works.........
    Regards,

Steve.

KradSpam: I forgot to add, all of his work is signed Lorenzl in the bronze foot base as in this photo:

Name:  art base mark.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  26.8 KB

Dwight

Im sorry to admit this, but the only reason I came here was because of the word nude girl, I hang my head in shame...lol

Thanks for the input chaps, I can't find any signature on it, and can't find anything exactly matching her pose so it so I would also conclude it was by a contemporary artist emulating Lorenzl's style, possibly mass produced. I'm still very fond of her, and she will compliment the right display nicely I think

Shame on you Max

I do agree with Steve , but didn't dare to put that way (knowing your birthday was coming up...!)
    No honestly, it seems to be a replica to me as well, like Steve stated!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    I do agree with Steve , but didn't dare to put that way (knowing your birthday was coming up...!)
    No honestly, it seems to be a replica to me as well, like Steve stated!
    |<
    Don't worry about that mate I've got thick skin It wouldn't make any difference if it was original and worth a fortune, or a replica and worth a tenner, I like it because it's a nice elegant little thing and I grew up with it in my Gran's cabinet

I didn't live in my Gran's display cabinet, that is. Just pre-empting any funny bugger catching me out on that one.

I'm looking at you Ned .

I think she's spin bowling...

Found a similar one up for auction this week along with a few others 'in the manner of', it's not a Lorenzi as the base plate fixing isn't his style, nice piece all the same. Estimate 30-40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	296.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	434552