Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Operation Bernhard Printing Plates

Article about: Hi folks, Can anyone tell me me more about this printing plate. Apparently it was used in Operation Bernhard by the Germans to print fake british ten pound bills. How can I tell it's real? W

?

Default Operation Bernhard Printing Plates

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me me more about this printing plate. Apparently it was used in Operation Bernhard by the Germans to print fake british ten pound bills.
    How can I tell it's real? What's it worth?

Thanks,

Andre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Operation Bernhard Printing Plates  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Operation Bernhard Printing Plates
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Operation Bernhard Printing Plates

If it is real I would think it would be illegal to own.
    If not WWII German made I would still think it would be illegal to own.
    Just an opinion.

What is the provenance?

I have no idea of the legalities of owning this or indeed if original? I include the link for interest's sake:

Operation Bernhard / Andrew - Pam West British Bank Notes

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I read it's illegal in the UK and can be confiscated by the Bank of England, thankfully I'm in the US

?

Thank you for the link Adrian, best I've read so far. I will contact them today.
    Thanks,

-A

MMI
    ?

I second the earlier question: What is the provenance? Do you have this in our possession? While it is technically illegal to have this, as well as the notes themselves, I'd think it's unlikely the Bank of England would confiscate this.

?

Apparently from the Lake given to a woman back in the days from a diver. I do not have it. I saw the bills selling for $300+ at auction, etc. Still digging for more info.

MMI
    ?

I'd have to guess that was the Stern dive into Lake Toplitz (Toplitzee) in 1959 that was headed by Wolfgang Lohde (who's still with us, the last I'd heard). Know thy notes before purchasing at auction or anywhere. The counterfeits were excellent, so they're hard to discern from the real ones, meaning there are millions of real notes that are worth little. Study the details that make the differences. If you're interested, consult a reputable dealer, i.e. Colin Narbeth in the UK, who knows these notes. Buy at your own peril on eBay and so forth.