Original Print

Article about: Der,Mai,1940,Paul,Matthias,Padua. I have a friend who lives in the States now, but was a 10-15 yr old child in Germany during the war. He was part of a wealthy family who were mostly SS Offi

Default Original Print

Der,Mai,1940,Paul,Matthias,Padua. I have a friend who lives in the States now, but was a 10-15 yr old child in Germany during the war. He was part of a wealthy family who were mostly SS Officers. This print was displayed in his house during the war. The pictures don't do this justice as the detail is incredible. He is currently in Germany visiting family. I just received this print yesterday afternoon. It was mounted in a modern frame but had broken glass. I pulled it out carefully and am going to get this professionally re framed. I looked all over the net and can not find much information about value or rarity of this. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you

BurtClick image for larger version. 

Name:	German print 005.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	328553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	German print 007.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	328554

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Original Print

Sorry, I cannot comment on the value or rarity of this print, although it was probably the best-known and most popular painting by the artist.

Still - on the risk that you already know this - allow me to add some info on the artist and the painting:

Paul Mathias Padua was born on 15 Nov. 1903 in Salzburg (Austria).

Born into a poor family, he grew up with his grandparents in Geiselhöring and Straubing (both in Lower Bavaria) and later lived in Murnau and Munich (both in Upper Bavaria).

Padua became a member of the Munich Group of Artists (Münchner Künstlervereinigung) in 1922. In the years to follow, his paintings were displayed in numerous regional exhibitions and he won several prizes, such as the Georg-Schlicht-Preis in 1928 and the City of Nuremberg's Albrecht-Dürer-Preis in 1930. He gained popularity in the 1930s and became increasingly known to a wider public, with his paintings now appearing in exhibitions outside his home state and even in other neighboring European countries.

Despite his humble origins and his lack of academic artistic training, he was a highly renowned artist in the Third Reich era. His paintings were on display in the Haus der Deutschen Kunst [House of German Art] in Munich, and he was awarded many more prizes.
    He was best known for still life paintings, female nudes and portraits. One of his paintings, depicting a motive of Greek mythology, "Leda und der Schwan" ["Leda and the Swan"] was even bought by Hitler for his Berghof residence.

Drafted into a propaganda company as a war artist upon the outbreak of WW2, he was soon sent back to Germany after being wounded in Belgium. He created some well-known Nazi propaganda paintings, including "Der Führer spricht" (depicting a family gathered around their Volksempfänger radio).

In 1943, Padua moved to St. Wolfgang in Austria.

He continued to work as a painter after the war, his color palette now more vibrant and varied. Returning to Germany in 1951, he opened his own gallery, the Galerie am See [Gallery by the Lake] in the Tegernsee valley. Relatively little is known about the last 30 years of his life, but he was much in demand as portrait artist.

He died of a stroke on 22 Aug. 1981 in Rottach-Egern (Upper Bavaria, Germany).

The painting "10. May 1940" ["10 May 1940"] - whose mood and composition are somewhat similiar to Leutze's famous painting of Washington crossing the Delaware - depicts a scene from the initial phase of the Western Campaign, when daring river-crossings across the Rhine and the Meuse took place at dawn of that day.

(By the way, a Google search tells me that new prints of the painting are still available from some - obviously right-wing - online shops.)

That's beautiful. I might have to order a copy of it for my war room.
    Looking for WWII U.S. dog tags

Thank you for the information. I knew only what I was told by my friend Hans about this. It is a fantastic painting with striking detail. The camera does not do this one justice.

Thats a great work of art, I love it, thanks for sharing.