Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Is this part of a real SS Plate?

Article about: I found this at a small flea market I go to on Sundays, The fellow I bought it from told me he found it a box of plates ect at an auction, and did not see it until he got it home. I have no

?

Default Is this part of a real SS Plate?

I found this at a small flea market I go to on Sundays, The fellow I bought it from told me he found it a box of plates ect at an auction, and did not see it until he got it home.

I have no idea how this came to Canada, however my question is this. Is this part of a period original SS Plate?

Thank You

Dean O
    Canada

Is this part of a real SS Plate?Is this part of a real SS Plate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this part of a real SS Plate?
    P
    Many

Is the logo and text on top of the glaze or under it? You would be able to feel it with your fingernail if it's on top.

Here's one from over at WAF that shares a very similar mark to yours:

SS Reich Dish - Please Help Me! - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

?

Thank you Avenger, however I could not get the photos on that other thread to come up.

However I did as you said by rubbing my thumb nail over the "logo", it is "flat", I cannot feel anything raised, so I am guessing the "logo" is under the glaze

If it is original, is it rare? Any Value?

Thank you again

Dean O
    Canada

I don't know these well enough to confirm it's original, but based on what I could find, I think it stands a good chance. I understand these can be faked. If the marks are under the glaze, that's a good sign, though fakers are wise to that and sometimes reglaze over added marks on old porcelain plates, which you can usually see under magnification as it creates a slightly raised area over the mark. I suspect yours is "probably" good though if I had to guess. Here's the image from WAF, borrowed from sgstandard's post over there:

Is this part of a real SS Plate?

As value goes, I'm not too sure. It's a broken item, so I doubt very much if anything. Complete examples I was reading going in the $60 - $100 range depending on what it is. You might look around on the internet at dealers to see if you can find another to see what they're charging for a more reliable estimate of a complete versions value.

Sorry I couldn't be more clear, but I hope it helps a little.

?

Thank you again, I took a very close look at the "logo" on mine and it appears to match that one in your photo.

This may be a dumb question, but I do not collect WW2 German items except Ordnance. As it is marked SS Reich, was it used only by the SS?

Dean O
    Canada

Yeah, I think these would be SS messhall items. The SS paramilitary organization had all sorts of special items made for them. I guess their dinnerware wasn't any different. Though, many organizations had logo messhall ware. You'll find Heer, and Luftwaffe most often. DAF had messhall ware in their factories, so why not SS too?

?

Thumbs up

Yes, definately original. Looks like what is left of a coffee saucer.
    I have several pieces of broken WW 2 German china with the mfgr marks on the bottom. I think they are kinda neat. Especially so those I picked up myself.
    For example I have some Lw pieces from the dump at an old Luftwaffe air base and one piece from the dump at Buchenwald CC. Also got a mess can top there, but not SS marked.
    I also have a good sized collection of Lw, KM u. SS china & silverware. Also have some DAF and other partei items. Don't remember, but may also have a few pieces of Heer?
    Sarge

?

Thank you again guys.

Dean O
    Canada