Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

Article about: Hello, all! I have posted this in my garbage thread... if a moderator deems this thread unnecessary, feel free to delete it! I just thought members of this forum who do not subscribe to my g

Default Re: Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

Ok.... maybe they were boulders and slabs of marble under foot?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest
    P
    Many

That is quite a big chunk that is missing of the Colosseum... How large did you say your shoe size was again?

I do have rather large feet... size 14 US...

Neat stuff... If you get the opportunity, see if the family may provide you a wartime photo of the vet, document the story and consider having a notorized statement done. Not that this will prove anything, but having the history, photos, unit and division history makes a wonderful set. Many G.I.s took such items, and many visitors still find broken pieces of WWII sites. The hearth at the Eagles Nest was hammered (literally) by the vets who occupied this site in WWII. You can see to this day the chipping on the Eagles Nest fireplace hearth. I have a friend whose father was one of the main administrative figures for the Nurnberg trials and took his son to this site in 1947 and picked up a 12 inch "chunk" of the Berghof hearth and had a large ashtray made from it. My friend still has that, amongst many other items. Great find for you with this and it would be worth having the background materials with your great finds!

Quote by danno81 View Post
    Neat stuff... If you get the opportunity, see if the family may provide you a wartime photo of the vet, document the story and consider having a notorized statement done. Not that this will prove anything, but having the history, photos, unit and division history makes a wonderful set. Many G.I.s took such items, and many visitors still find broken pieces of WWII sites. The hearth at the Eagles Nest was hammered (literally) by the vets who occupied this site in WWII. You can see to this day the chipping on the Eagles Nest fireplace hearth. I have a friend whose father was one of the main administrative figures for the Nurnberg trials and took his son to this site in 1947 and picked up a 12 inch "chunk" of the Berghof hearth and had a large ashtray made from it. My friend still has that, amongst many other items. Great find for you with this and it would be worth having the background materials with your great finds!
    Here is a picture of Pvt. Lane.
    Pieces of rock from Berchtesgaden/ Hitler's Eagles Nest

I am very honored! I went to return all the items I borrowed the other day and Pvt. Lane's son-in-law gave me some fragments of marble from the Eagle's Nest hearth!

The photo is great! Tying anything back to the source for these "pieces of history" always is a good idea. When I get time I hope to transfer the video I have of climbing into the lower level of the Berghof through the garage and a hole we found there and you can see the tile, room remains, halls etc, where I filled my backpack with rubble. I need then to figure out how to post that. Your pieces of the eagle nest hearth are great! The G Is really took a toll on those edges and today you can see it as it was left. Thanks for posting the photo. I really like this type of stuff.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4