Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Real Hitler watercolor painting or not?

Article about: Hello everybody. I bought recently a framed photo of a german soldier on a fleamarket in the Ardennes in Belgium. The frame was in such a pour shape that I had to replace it. When I removed

Slice a thin piece off of one edge and take
    it for analysis to see when the paper
    was made - or take it to an art
    gallery.........
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real Hitler watercolor painting or not?
    P
    Many

Hmmm, I'm not very keen to cause damage to it. Isn't there another method?

And pure hypothetical, if it turns out to be genuine, is it somthing of great value? What would it be worth?

Quote by johanvdb View Post
    And pure hypothetical, if it turns out to be genuine, is it somthing of great value? What would it be worth?
    This forum does not encourage pricing of items as a general rule.Take it to a fine art dealer or auction house to have it appraised. Be prepared to pay for this. You are not going to find the answers you so desperately want to hear on this forum, as you already believe it to be genuine yourself. This thread can only go down the same path as so many others here do when a first time poster with little idea of the particular item they have is given a response in the negative, it ends in disbelief, denial, bitterness, name calling and eventually a ban.

Good luck with your quest.

Absit invidia, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

gee he was a pretty crap painter haha

MAP
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Of course in the long run, everyone would have been better off had they relaxed their admission criteria a bit...
    ROFL Andreas. I've thought the same thing soooo many times. What a different worlds we would be in now "if"! But hindsight as they say is 20/20.

Now as for the painting. I don't think any of us are qualified. This will need to go to an expert appraiser of errr... "fine" art. Likelihood of originality is low but you never know. But don't expect "big bucks". They don't go for "I can retire" sums of $.

Hitler's art attracts big sale prices - CNN.com

That said, the recently departed purveyor Charlie still has a boatload of "original" ones for sale
    Last edited by MAP; 09-13-2016 at 03:44 AM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I bet the Smithsonian in D.C would take this project on for free as they already have several of his paintings in storage and not on display.

The technique does not look like any genuine Hitler painting I have seen. I have serious doubts as to it's authenticity.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I was thinking along the lines of some high resolution photos through the proper channels to institutions who I know have originals.. Couldn't hurt I suppose.

I am going to go out on a limb-something that I rarely do-and say that I like the posted painting. The color blending is quite similar and the scene is the same. It could, of course, simply be a copy made by some one who had seen the original Hitler painting and for whatever reason they may have had, made their own version of it. Does it mean that it is Definitely a forgery? Hitler cranked out his paintings by the box loads to pay his bills in the German Depression following the Great War. He could have cared less about their artistic values-just so long as they brought a few pfennigs worth of income. Many were not even signed or if they were, they were signed with endless varieties of signatures or simple initials. He was one of thousands of dirt poor street artists plying anything they could to get a meal or a room to sleep in.

So, having said all that, I'll say again, that I like the painting and get a good impression from it. Is it the "find of the Century", even if it is authentic? Not really. Hitler paintings bring good money, but the ones that do are generally the larger and more detailed architectural and cityscape pieces. Paintings such as this one are from the above mentioned destitute poor and desperate era. IF it is authentic, and copying Hitler's paintings have been a popular past time for the last 7 or 8 decades, it would require a costly and in depth examination and authentication process by an accredited and highly respectable art expert or institution. Without it, it may as well be kept as a curio or a "I wonder if it is" thing. So, going the full road and assuming that it does, indeed, pass all the tests and exams, can you retire to Tahiti? Sorry.....not quite. Could you buy a decent but used car with it's value-if genuine? Very possible. Please keep us updated with what you decide to do and what you find out. At this point, about all that we can do is wish you the best of luck! Stranger things have happened!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast