Reichsnährstand Goslar Vase 1934 Reichsbauerntag

Article about: I'd be interested to hear some opinions about this brass vase, please. Is it one of the many, many tarted up engraved articles out there or the real deal? If I didn't know there was so much

?

Default Reichsnährstand Goslar Vase 1934 Reichsbauerntag

I'd be interested to hear some opinions about this brass vase, please. Is it one of the many, many tarted up engraved articles out there or the real deal?

If I didn't know there was so much of this stuff out there, I'd imagine it was authentic - the engraving of the Reichsnährstand symbol looks well executed and the patina looks genuine, but I aware modern fakers are capable of achieving this.

To add a little context, during the Third Reich Goslar was an important centre for Dr Walther Darré and the Reichsnährstand. From 1934 onwards, the annual Reichsbauerntag was held there in the autumn and in 1936, Goslar was named the Reichsbauernstadt.

With thanks, Philip

Attachment 706466Attachment 706465

Attachment 706460Attachment 706461

Attachment 706462Attachment 706463

Attachment 706464
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4956501.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	706467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4956503.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	706468  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4956505.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	706469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4956506.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	706470  

Name:	4956504.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	706471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4956509.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	706472  

Name:	4957147.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	706473  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Wonder who dreams these things up ? Looks like a put together chalice/vase - whats the sense of 1934 on the base/bottom? I would say run from this. Looks like some dedication above the Goslar , can you read it?
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Hello Horst,

Thank you for commenting. Yes, the ground-off inscription is intriguing - if the vase is authentic, I'd imagine that it was the name of the person that it was presented to, presumably on the occasion of the Reichsbauerntag; perhaps as the prize in some competition or as a gift to some delegate or what have you. However, if I had it in hand, I perhaps be able to make out through a loupe the words 'You've been had'!

These events did have their prizes and commemorative 'merchandise' but this is the first time I've seen anything quite like this. I recently bought a little china coffee cup with the logo of the Dresden Reichsgartenschau of 1936, which was also organised under the auspices of the Reichsnährstand, but I am confident that is genuine.

I'd welcome further comments from colleagues, perhaps on the authenticity of the patina and the engraving.

Regards,

Philip

This thing is so homely, it could almost be Real....I Think the first word in the ground off inscription reads as "Reich"..so the whole thing could be "Reichsnährstand"? I can't imagine why it would have been removed, though...
    I hate to admit it, but I rather Like it...the engraving looks okey and the materials aren't screaming fake..Why the double date? Not a clue there...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks William, I appreciate your input.

Regarding the date, its seems that '1934' on the base is stamped, which I imagine might be the date that the vase was manufactured, whereas the engraved date relates to the event that it was commemorating.

However, I think that your comment about the ground off inscription beginning 'Reich' has lead me to conclude that this is a definite fake - looking carefully, I can see that the missing word was 'Reichsbauernstadt' - the 'stadt' is detectable too. However, Goslar did not become Reichsbauernstadt until 1936, which presumably is why this part of the inscription has been ground off.

Case closed!

Regards, Philip

A faker that actually Realized his stupid mistake and ground it off? Or did some poor slob who bought the thing realize it after he bought it and removed it to resell to some other victim? Interesting!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."