Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat

Article about: I came across this beer mat when purchasing a copy of Mein Kampf and wondered if anyone else has come across one before? My research suggests the obvious - that it is from the SS Cantine in

Default SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat

I came across this beer mat when purchasing a copy of Mein Kampf and wondered if anyone else has come across one before?

My research suggests the obvious - that it is from the SS Cantine in Obersalzberg and quite a rare piece.

Any information or questions would be very welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat   SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Obersalzberg Cantine Beer Mat
    P
    Many

?

I notice that beer mats showing the side with the brewery's name are quite common (see Google image search for Berchtesgadener Bier Bierdeckel).

I doubt that the Reichsführer SS would have approved of anyone resting their beer mug on the sig runes. I wonder if careful examination of the printing under high magnification would show whether or not it is printed with a modern technique?

Regards,

Philip

There's also a version of this where the Obersalzberg SS Kantine side has been replaced with a commemoration of Hitler's 50th birthday and the date 20.4.39 printed on them,

Colonels Militaria

that I find even more unlikely than the above coaster/beermat which coincidentally are for sale at the recently discussed Sammlermarkt-Nord website as can be seen on their site.

Ihr Shop

I wasn't previously aware of the first site indicated above, but a quick perusal of the inventory puts some of Charlie Snyders' gear in the shade.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

They're not even decently made Runes...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the comments,

The Berchestgaden side will be found on other beer mats as it is a standard Hoffbrauhaus design. I have seen the Hitler birthday ones but never these.

The Sammlermarkt ones are identical which is interesting but they seem to be in worse condition.

I have a contact who authenticates autographs and will ask if he can carry out some tests to get a date or method of printing.

?

Looks 'carp.'

Why do people even ask? If they do not hear what they want to hear, they simply ignore it and keep right on searching....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Simple - because none of you know whether this is genuine or whether it is a fake. I'm certainly not saying it's an original but on the same hand I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

People ask because someone out there might know for sure, they might have provenance on an identical item or they might have proof of reproductions or made up fakes. The fact that nobody does know for sure is the reason I would continue searching. It's a scary fact that some people might take a few vague comments on a forum from people they do not know as 'truth'. I however search for more concrete evidence.

I have been a collector for over twenty years and can spot many fakes from a distance however I have a few questions on this piece that I need to continue searching for the answers. I intend to try to put an age on the item and for a contact in Germany to liaise with the Hofbrauhaus on whether these were produced during the war.

I can't help to think that if someone was going to the trouble of producing fake SS beer mats that they would think of something more grand the the idea that they are from a cantine.

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Why do people even ask? If they do not hear what they want to hear, they simply ignore it and keep right on searching....
    Indeed.

I tip my hat to you and the other knowledgeable forum members here, who again and again and again gets asked an opinion on an item, answer comprehensively......often getting no response at all - let alone a simple 'thank you.'

One wonders why even bother.

(The above not necessarily directed at the OP).

?

Quote by BullandHaynes View Post
    Simple - because none of you know whether this is genuine or whether it is a fake. I'm certainly not saying it's an original but on the same hand I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

People ask because someone out there might know for sure, they might have provenance on an identical item or they might have proof of reproductions or made up fakes. The fact that nobody does know for sure is the reason I would continue searching. It's a scary fact that some people might take a few vague comments on a forum from people they do not know as 'truth'. I however search for more concrete evidence.

I have been a collector for over twenty years and can spot many fakes from a distance however I have a few questions on this piece that I need to continue searching for the answers. I intend to try to put an age on the item and for a contact in Germany to liaise with the Hofbrauhaus on whether these were produced during the war.
    With respect:

The above is all well and good, but sometimes one has to apply a modicum of common sense.

As have been mentioned by others; beer mats would hardly have been accepted in the strict SS system.

If you merely scratch the surface of the organisation, a picture of a very stringent almost anal person sitting at the top emerges.

If you have but the smallest fraction of insight in this twisted person psyche, you'd understand, that beer mats were not a factor in that persons universe.

He thought of the SS having a higher purpose thus everything and everybody under his auspicies had to answer to this higher calling.

Swords and rings, yes. Beer mats, hardly.

Quote by BullandHaynes View Post

I can't help to think that if someone was going to the trouble of producing fake SS beer mats that they would think of something more grand the the idea that they are from a cantine.
    I mean no offence, but I find this statement difficult to reconcile with twenty years of collectiong insight; I see no reason to post the laughable tat here, but we have all seen countless examples of what idiotic cheap post war garbage is being manufactured as being SS.....and which sells to boot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast