Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

SS oil painting...identification....

Article about: Hello everyone, I bought this oil painting complements of Alexander Historical, and wanted help identifying this man. Obviously, I started searching, "Obersturmbannfuhrers'," in wi

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    By the way! I think we are forgetting something truly important!
    KristianFerrel: You have to invite us to a round of beers the next time we meet !!
    What a shame not to have met you three years ago, when we visited Ph.

Attachment 1332965

With the fantastic things to see in your city, I also had to visit all the sports stadiums! It's what you have to do when you're a father (And I recognize it, I had to climb the "Rocky steps" and jump with my arms up ...)

Attachment 1332966

Mate, you've already noticed which baseball team my son Alex is a fan!

Attachment 1332967
    Awesome, I worked at the Vet Stadium as a kid, 16 year old. My Dad, worked for the valet service as a 2nd job, parking cars, and I was the lone gate keeper. However other then the valet, i also opened the gate for players. Got to meet Randall Cunningham, Reggie White, etc. Plus work was 2 hours before and into the game, and an hour or so before the game ended until an hour or so after. During the game, i would sit in the skybox, and watch, Phillies, and Eagles. A very cool experience. I can't tell you how many movies I've seen shot in Philly, ie Rocky IV, and, even the latest Creed II. My fiance was even an extra, in Kevin Bacon's, "The Woodsman," in the 90s sometime.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS oil painting...identification....
    P
    Many

I wanna thank everyone in solving the mystery of the artist of this portrait. Now, I'm still left with the task, of figuring out who this guy is, lol. He was a Knights of the Iron Cross holder, as well as, "Obersturmbannfuhrer," let's see what I can dig up. Thanks again everyone!

According to official statistics 40 Obersturmbannführer SS won the Ritterkreuz during WWII.
    They are not too many.
    But what we don't know is if the man in the portrait won his RK when he had a lower ranking ...
    It doesn't seem like a simple task. Courage KristianFerrell !!

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    According to official statistics 40 Obersturmbannführer SS won the Ritterkreuz during WWII.
    They are not too many.
    But what we don't know is if the man in the portrait won his RK when he had a lower ranking ...
    It doesn't seem like a simple task. Courage KristianFerrell !!
    I actually tried just that very early on with this. The problem was, it was easier to tell who he wasn't, but many of the men with this rank, and this award, were lacking photos. I may be at a stalemate. I was gonna give it a few days, and start the search over, always good to clear the search, when I don't get anywhere for a whole.

I wonder if the best way of narrowing down who the subject of the painting is, is to follow the Konovalyuk lead back to Kiev. There may be historians there who know where the artist was in 1943 and then research what SS units were also located in the same area. That overlap may throw up a likely Obersturmbannfuhrer. Also showing a copy of his painting to the Ukrainians may throw up some potential names.

The face is nicely painted and detailed, as you would expect from a professional painter. The uniform lacks detail and is painted in an almost childish way, in my opinion not consisted with the painter's quality. My hypothesis is that the painting is original, but the uniform is added later by someone else, to make the painting more interesting and sell for more. I've seen more paintings that had this done.

Interesting hypothesis but I see no visual evidence of that. It is signed so it's unlikely the artist would sign an unfinished work. Are you suggesting there's a business suit hiding under the uniform? As for the "childish way" of painting, take a look at his other paintings in the more impressionist style, they also to the untrained eye suggest a lack of ability, but that is intentional. Underdeveloped parts of the painting are often intentional in portraits so to draw the eye to the face.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5