Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS oil painting...identification....

Article about: Hello everyone, I bought this oil painting complements of Alexander Historical, and wanted help identifying this man. Obviously, I started searching, "Obersturmbannfuhrers'," in wi

Default SS oil painting...identification....

Hello everyone,
    I bought this oil painting complements of Alexander Historical, and wanted help identifying this man. Obviously, I started searching, "Obersturmbannfuhrers'," in wiki, former SS file. Also, under the mat, he also has, war merit first class w/ swords. I peaked under looking for an artist signiture. I include a pic of thre back, to show, you can't pull it out without damaging it. Ty.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS oil painting...identification....   SS oil painting...identification....  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS oil painting...identification....
    P
    Many

It's a competent painting, but do you think it was painted during the Third Reich era? Without a name for the artist it's difficult to date, and may have been painted from a photograph, as any competent artist could do. The backing paper of the frame, pasted full width is unusual, and not what is normally seen, which makes me think newish painting into old frame.

I´ve seen backing paper often, but not on old paintings but on old photographs. I agree though that the painting and the frame probably dont belong to each other, as it seems it was made for a bigger painting and then resized using the white inner frame. But that does not necessarily mean that the painting is not period.
    The backing paper is a real problem, it can be period or newer and i have no idea how to confirm either of the two ages.
    I personally removed an old really damaged backing paper on an old picture of mine and then found the name of the person in the picture hidden under the paper, no gurantee that it would be the same on yours tho.

?

Backing paper is not uncommon but it doesn't usually last the period of time. And I'd expect it to be knocked around more than it is.
    The frame is period though, as is the mount board as today and for some time it's cut 45 degrees and not 90 like yours.
    You probably won't find a signature as the painter is not particularly skilled, particularly the uniform.

Hello everyone.
    My suggestion is with a cutter, very delicately cut the paper from the back of the frame. I would not be surprised if the name of the painter or some other relevant information appeared on the back of the painting.
    But I am not the owner of the painting..

We tried?

?

I'll correct myself.
    There is some training by the artist as his face is in proportion with some tone and shading but he or she let themselves down with the uniform.....imho.
    It probably had glass but may have been broken hence the newish white paper.......I'd take it off and see what's behind it.

1. Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1939 with Swords
    2. Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP 1.Stufe Bronze
    3. Kriegsdenkmünze 1914/18 des Kyffhäuserbundes

It's hard to be sure seeing the painting

Best regards

Santi

Not uncommon for a portrait artist to focus on the face and leave the clothing and background undeveloped. clearly from the handling of the face, the artist could manage to paint a more realistic uniform if he/she wanted to. Without identifying the painter, it may be very difficult to be certain when it was painted, unless there is some evidence under the backing paper, which I would be inclined to carefully open to investigate.

?

No true not uncommon but he or she had a go at this uniform and failed miserably given it is also two thirds of the painting.....strange as the whole painting subject is a military man. As a whole it lacks significance and I too would be inclined to have a look what's under that possible later backing paper.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast