Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SS watch

Article about: My only interest in the watch,apart from it being my fathers,is I would like to give it back to the family it belongs to, there is a short story that goes with the watch but I really dont wa

My only interest in the watch,apart from it being my fathers,is I would like to give it back to the family it belongs to, there is a short story that goes with the watch but I really dont want to tell it online ,I will try again to get a pic up, I will not and cannot open it up to take a picture ,I have sent the SS number to the place on the first reply ,but again I really dont want to plaster the number all over the web,the jeweller told me a brief history of the watch, he said the case was made in Germany but the movement was made in Switzerland, and that it was an officer ,as enlisted men did not get them .
    I have no doubt that what he told me and with what my late mother told me about the watch, its all true , but as I said I have no real interest in it apart from returning it if possible.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Look forward to pics, but not holding my breath.

On a side note; why and how would the proverbial 'old Jewish jeweller' have an iota of knowledge about SS numbers in watches??
    Why would there be a number inside the watch - usually MIL watches are clearly marked on the case back (in the case of vintage British MIL watches with the 'broad arrow') etc. etc. - so many questions and so few facts/pics presented.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Somehow, you just know that a thread titled "SS watch" is not going to be worth reading before even clicking on it.
    Well said.

I dont mean to be so cynical, but there are so many fake watches of more or less laughable 'pedigree.'

Without various pics, we really cant go any further.

I hope it is true I honestly do

We are all wasting our time unless we have a photo...Why people start a thread on an item without a photo and get upset when their stories are questioned is beyond me...I can tell you I that I own a castle...even though I don't.
    cheers, Glenn

I am as skeptical as all of the other nay sayers. As others have mentioned, it is not plausible that an old jeweler would know an SS serial number from any other group of numbers. Even if this is accurate, there is no way to validate a number belonged to an officer and not a common SS soldier. Finally, even if everything you have written is accurate, how will you locate the former owner's family? In Germany, descendants of SS men avoid anything related to their relative's past. The German Government will be of no help so your quest is impossible.
    Welcome to the forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I don't think the people posting here are questioning your integrity, errolbil, but rather the expertise of the jeweler. Being a Jewish man from Poland doesn't make him an expert on the SS. I wouldn't take my ring to a militaria dealer for resizing and I wouldn't take my militaria to a jeweler for authenticating.

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I hope it is true I honestly do
    As do I John.
    That said, the fact he has enlisted complete faith into a jeweler without doing his own study, which is quite evident as he didn't even recognize those horrific fake SS watches above, cause great concern.
    Some will believe whatever they want no matter what evidence is shown. I'm starting to suspect this is going to be one of those situations where no matter what, we are all wrong, and he solely is the one who is right.

Quote by Erno View Post
    I don't think the people posting here are questioning your integrity, errolbil, but rather the expertise of the jeweler. Being a Jewish man from Poland doesn't make him an expert on the SS. I wouldn't take my ring to a militaria dealer for resizing and I wouldn't take my militaria to a jeweler for authenticating.
    Well said sir.

?

I'll second that.

Leaving aside the number issue, the Polish jeweller etc. a high quality macro image or two of the watch front and back with any makers logo would at least help someone to confirm if it is period at the very least.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast