Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?

Article about: Does anyone here know if Third Reich pieces (such as Hitler busts and plaques etc.) maker marked "Schmidt-Hofer" are supposed to be referring to the artist and sculptor Otto Schmid

Default Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?

Does anyone here know if Third Reich pieces (such as Hitler busts and plaques etc.) maker marked "Schmidt-Hofer" are supposed to be referring to the artist and sculptor Otto Schmidt Hofer?
    If this is the case then these pieces must be either A: Very early pieces (pre-1925), or B: Produced later on in some kind of company/legacy capacity... this seeing as this particular "Schmidt Hofer"died in 1925.
    So, either that or they are all simply embellished fake/reproductions.... they could of course have been produced by some other "Schmidt-Hofer" but I have simply been unable to locate any other period makers with that particular name, plus it would seem that most of these pieces bear the likeness of this artists actual signtaure... So, yes... confused and also not knowledgeable at all in this field... any help/info on this maker would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?

Did Otto Schmidt Hofer have a son who was also an artist?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I really have no idea... the info I have found on this artist online is not all that comprehensive. I guess that, with what seems to me as an acceptance of items marked this way in mind, either some relative or perhaps his company (if he had a company as such) must have carried on producing artwork under his name after his death.

The real reason I am curious about this is that a Hitler plaque I have purchased is marked Schmidt-Hofer (note the different style of handwriting compared to the Otto Schmidt Hofer signed piece) coupled with a logo that seemingly reads either HB or HVB... I do believe Horst on here has an identical plaque--- maybe he could chime in?

Either way... here is the one that I've purchased, it also has an interesting paper label on the reverse stating that this maker is officially authorized/licensed to produce this type of plaque (or something similar):

Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?

The obviously different Otto Schmidt Hofer signature on a Hitler bust to compare (from nsdapuniforms.com):

Third Reich art by Schmidt-Hofer = Otto Schmidt Hofer?

Any comments or thoughts on the signature/maker issue or simply on the item itself are most welcome

?

The profile of AH on the plaque is period from the III Reich as to the bust from what one can see nothing I would want.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

If it matters, for one thing-the name on the bust is Printed out whereas the profile has a Signed signature, so, of course, the names would look differently from each other. The "HB" is obviously the Company that produced the profile, as the initials for it are also on the sticker. Schmidt Hofer looks to be the artist who designed it and made the original which was then mass produced by the HB company. If there was, as you said, a Schmidt Hofer who was an artist that died in 1925, it is, in my opinion, likely that the Schmidt Hofer here is probably related to him-a son or grandson, perhaps.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for weighing in! The bust was just added to show the difference in signature between the one on the plaque and that of Otto Schmidt Hofer, I don't particularily care for any of the Schmidt Hofer Hitler busts Ive seen either, they all seem very smooth and lacking in detail, but I have noticed people accepting him as an artist that actually did create Hitler busts though. No idea why.

When you say that "the profile on the plaque is period" do you mean to infer that the plaque it is mounted on is not of the period?

?

No I mean that the complete package wood/plaque are period.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Wagriff; The signature on the Hitler bust is 100% meant to be a likeness of that of Otto Schmidt Hofer, the artist that passed away in 1925. Here's a link to an auction showing another sculpture by this artist, same signature965: BRONZE STATUE OTTO SCHMIDT HOFER ROMAN WARRIOR : Lot 965

You're probably right in that IF art was indeed created under the Schmidt-Hofer name during the Third-Reich period it would have been the work of a relative or perhaps his own company continuing on but I would find it curious if they were indeed creating new art and signing them with the deceased artists own signature... no?

Quote by Horst View Post
    No I mean that the complete package wood/plaque are period.

Horst
    Good to hear, other than being quite wary due to the maker name I felt pretty confident in this one myself. If I remember correctly you have one of these too... if so, does yours have the same markings and the slightly curious paper tag on the reverse?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast